Thanks for the responses. It seems like I wasn't missing something with regard to the naming. I just wanted to be accurate when I try to describe to someone (or the forum) what kind of stream it is. The one I like the best is "headwaters of a freestone stream" (thanks bobbyg), although that is kind of a long name for such a little trickle.

I hear everyone's comments with regard to secrecy, and I agree to an extent. Here's my thinking, at least for this particular area. First, the stream is next to a road, although not a road that is well traveled. Second, the stream is already listed in at least one of the popular guidebooks that covers trout streams of Virginia. Third, the brook trout in the picture came from a different stream, that although it looks similar, is actually much more difficult to get to, because there is not only no road, but not even a hiking trail. Fourth, there are at least a half-dozen similar streams within a 10 mile radius. Fifth, there are several streams nearby that draw the crowds because they are along traveled roads, have a lot more water, and receive stocked fish. Yes, this stream is very fragile, and I am very fortunate to have it and others so close to home. If a few other like-minded folks tread lightly here, I won't begrudge their presence.

Now when I was in California for about a year, the situation regarding such streams was much different.