+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you call this kind of stream?

Hybrid View

Default What do you call this kind of stream?

I have a question about what to call this type of stream. At one time, I thought this was "pocket water" because it exists in little pockets, connected only by cascades. I've since learned that pocket water is something else (although I'm still not sure how to describe that accurately either), so what do I call this kind of stream?

Overstreet 1 resize.jpg

Is it "cascades and plunge pools"? "small mountain stream"? "series of plunge pools"? Whatever you call it, I've recently discovered some of the native residents, and they do have a special appeal, despite their small size. Just what I needed, a new place to have to make fishing trips.

IMG_8302 resize.jpg

I would call it the headwaters of a freestone stream....but whadda I know!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I would be very careful about calling it anything, the fewer people who know about a spot like that the better. It's a beautiful series of falls and pools that is fragile and should be guarded.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

How about 'plunge pool pocket water'. I have a little stream nearby that looks very similar...

Blog Entries

I know a stream like that in the southwest Sahara desert, just west of Morocco. It flows in a counter clock ways on Sat - tues and then stops flowing wed - Fri. the pools dry up from 2300 -0500 and then heat up from 0501--2259. Now just what was its name I can't remember.. Too bad nice place..

Basically if I knew where that crick was and what type it is I would not share it with anyone!! sorry I am funny that way..
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Thanks for the responses. It seems like I wasn't missing something with regard to the naming. I just wanted to be accurate when I try to describe to someone (or the forum) what kind of stream it is. The one I like the best is "headwaters of a freestone stream" (thanks bobbyg), although that is kind of a long name for such a little trickle.

I hear everyone's comments with regard to secrecy, and I agree to an extent. Here's my thinking, at least for this particular area. First, the stream is next to a road, although not a road that is well traveled. Second, the stream is already listed in at least one of the popular guidebooks that covers trout streams of Virginia. Third, the brook trout in the picture came from a different stream, that although it looks similar, is actually much more difficult to get to, because there is not only no road, but not even a hiking trail. Fourth, there are at least a half-dozen similar streams within a 10 mile radius. Fifth, there are several streams nearby that draw the crowds because they are along traveled roads, have a lot more water, and receive stocked fish. Yes, this stream is very fragile, and I am very fortunate to have it and others so close to home. If a few other like-minded folks tread lightly here, I won't begrudge their presence.

Now when I was in California for about a year, the situation regarding such streams was much different.

Quote Originally Posted by kengore View Post
    How about 'plunge pool pocket water'. I have a little stream nearby that looks very similar...
    Ditto for me also!
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

I know you've already gotten several answers but my my first impression when looking at the picture you posted was simply "pretty".

Nice to have access to places like that. You're a lucky person to have these locations close to you!
    Joe Bertolini

Blog Entries

Or you could call it Rattlesnake Creek, not many people want to fish there. Larry ---sagefisher---

Blog Entries

Waskeyc, Personally, I call it pocket water fishing, always have and always will. Great fun creek fishing is something else you can call it Enjoy it while you can. Larry ---sagefisher---

+ Reply to Thread