+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most Difficult Fly

Blog Entries

Thanks Allan.

Byron, a Muddler is a great hopper imitation when greased up and fished dry. A great fly during hopper season.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Blog Entries

Kelly,
    I am sure that it might work with lots of grease. However, when I want a hopper pattern, I use a hopper pattern like Lawson's or Whitlock's, etc., etc.
    I know that Gapin(sp?) believes it can be used as such. I visited with his son not many years ago and discussed the Muddler. He said it was used primarily as a sculpin pattern and not as much for trout as for other species.

I wonder if folks who use it during a hopper fishing opportunity are really fishing it as much as a sculpin. When you fish it, do you strip it in like fishing a streamer?

Blog Entries

My father taught me at a very young age that a muddler was exactly the right fly for a hopper imitation... I used it dapping for big browns in tiny creeks in Eastern Washington when hoppers were thick and the takes were often spectacular. It was 100% floating...

And I tied them weighted for those same creeks and dredging those same big browns during those crepuscular times...

And for many years a yellow marabou muddler was my favorite fly for huge winter rainbows on the Kenai River... Three very different ways of fishing virtually the same fly...

Not to grind the point, but I just read this upon receiving my Blue Ribbon Flies Newsletter today:

Cliff Lake presents challenges in late September as fish cruise the shoreline off the closed road along the western shore. I remember September afternoons walking the old road stalking the shore in search of patrolling fish often only a few inches off the shore. The can be taken with dry muddlers and hoppers or a #16 Mahogany Sparkle Dun.

Kelly
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Blog Entries

Tight lines Kelly. I will continue using hopper patterns when fishing for trout taking hoppers.

By the way, the BRF note about Cliff Lake mentioned the "Dry" muddler. LadyFisher has a little story and tying instructions of the Dry Muddler on this site. It is a fly popularized by Joe Brooks. It is a bit different from the Muddler Minnow - IMHO.

Do you fish a regular Muddler Minnow or a Dry Muddler as a hopper pattern?

Last edited by Byron haugh; 09-19-2013 at 08:16 PM.

There are specific differences between the way a dry MM is tied versus a streamer. I won't list them but you can think about what they are. Even without any 'floatant additives', the dry pattern floats and imitates hoppers probably better then most specific hopper patterns, although I concede not trying them all. Allan

Blog Entries

The "Dry Muddler" is the fly cited by Kelly above from Craig Mathews' newsletter - not the "Muddler Minnow"

Allan,
    I take it from that above, that you fish Humphrey's Dry Muddler as a hopper rather than the Muddler Minnow?
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 09-19-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Actually, I've always tied the 'Muddler Minnow' as it appears in the Family Circle Guide(wherein it states that it can be fished as a dry, wet or streamer, unweighted or weighted) and in the Pattern Guide by Eric Leiser. I'm not familiar the patterns by Mathews, Humphries or any other published author. And I am talking about the 'Muddler Minnow', not a 'dry muddler' or a 'muddler anything else'.

+ Reply to Thread