+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Most Difficult Fly

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Most Difficult Fly

I am sure that I am not alone in this. There always seems to be one fly pattern that is more difficult for an individual than any other. I have seen tiers steer away from a number of different patterns.

For me, the Rat Faced McDougall is one that I really wish had never been dreamed up. I think it was Darbee who came up with this concoction and, for me, it has been my nemesis ever since first tying one. You often hear that it is easy, if you use a razor blade, or if you do this, but it has always been a pattern I have avoided.

What is the one pattern you avoid tying?

Humpys are fun too. Not really difficult to tie, but to get the right
    proportions is very tricky.
    Sweetstreams

The infamous No-Hackle Dun as written about by Swisher and Richards, originally called the Double-wing Sidewinder, and made famous by Mike Lawson. I can't tie them worth a dang.:
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Blog Entries

Funny the Rat Faced McDougall gets ya... The Goddard Caddis is one of my absolute favorite flies both to use and to tie... Small spun hair bodies on dries should be easy as there is so little there...

When trimming them I shove all of the hair up by shoving the body down between my thumb and forefinger and I make three cuts... One flat along the top and then knock the two corners off. All three cuts turn down when approaching the tail.

Then I turn it upside down and repeat. Very little trimming is needed after that. The body tends to be slightly wider than tall which I think is both an advantage for floating and looks better.

I am struggling with getting the huge articulated flies we use here to swim better...

I can think of many but the one stands out for me is the Muddler Minnow.

Allan

Blog Entries

So....you consider the Muddler Minnow to be a fly??

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    I am sure that I am not alone in this. There always seems to be one fly pattern that is more difficult for an individual than any other. I have seen tiers steer away from a number of different patterns.

For me, the Rat Faced McDougall is one that I really wish had never been dreamed up. I think it was Darbee who came up with this concoction and, for me, it has been my nemesis ever since first tying one. You often hear that it is easy, if you use a razor blade, or if you do this, but it has always been a pattern I have avoided.

What is the one pattern you avoid tying?

Byron,

This version, of that fly...

Was one of the first dries I ever used. I got it here...

...in that shop on the corner, in Aspen, CO...that was owned by the author of this book...

I had to force myself to learn how to tie it since it was not available in any Fly Shops in CA. That pattern killed on the Roaring Fork and Frying Pan. These days, if I need a tying challenge, all I have to do is open this book...

http://www.amazon.com/Mayflies-Top-B.../dp/1571882421

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

+ Reply to Thread