+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Waders and Knee Pads

Hybrid View

Default Waders and Knee Pads

Hello FlyFishers. Recently I had a little mishap on the river while flyfishing and trip over a tree root and fell on a rock smashing my knee caps hard..it took me a few minutes to get up.My question is tha I wear breathable waders and was wondering if I wore a pair of knee pads over my waders,would they damage the waders and make them leak,or would they be ok to use. Maybe a silly question,but one more fall like that and my FlyFishing days will be over.I'm not getting any younger....lol

Doesn't sound like an unreasonable idea. However, I think it would be more comfortable to wear the knee pads UNDER the waders. Or am I missing something as to why you would rather wear them OVER the waders?

Blog Entries

As to damaging the material, depends on how the knee pads are constructed on the inner portion. But, I wear knee pads a lot around the house and outside when doing projects and I have a heck of a time keeping them on. They seem to pop off or slip down when they want to and that is when they are strapped onto my knee with only jeans or sweats under them. Seems to me that the heavy material used in waders would really cause knee pads to move around. Lots of luck and hope you find a good solution. Larry ---sagefisher---

Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    As to damaging the material, depends on how the knee pads are constructed on the inner portion. But, I wear knee pads a lot around the house and outside when doing projects and I have a heck of a time keeping them on. They seem to pop off or slip down when they want to and that is when they are strapped onto my knee with only jeans or sweats under them. Seems to me that the heavy material used in waders would really cause knee pads to move around. Lots of luck and hope you find a good solution. Larry ---sagefisher---
    I was thinking the same thing. I have trouble keeping them in place as well. However, I think a better option might be the type worn by athletes instead of those worn by construction workers.

I have a pair of knee pads that have a strap at the top of the knee and another around the bottom of the knee, and the little I have worn them, they stayed put OK.

Agree with the comment about basketball knee pads worn under the waders. I wore them when I played and don't recall them slipping. The ones I wear for construction projects need a fair amount of readjusting and I suspect they'd wear out the waders.

Here's some that are sold through a fly shop and intended to be used over waders
    http://www.bluequillangler.com/Produ...d#.Ujeg88adFnA

+ Reply to Thread