+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A conclusion

Question A conclusion

Is my thinking justified? Over the years I've noticed that when I am holding a trout in my hand while removing a hook, if I hold him "belly up" the little guy will almost completely stop wiggling. My thought is that this position has the fish thoroughly disoriented because he has never been in that position when in the water naturally. OR is my data greatly biased?

Nope, Ray. You're 100% right. I've seen this recommended in articles and/or books.

Chuck

Works relatively well with browns but not so much with brooks and rainbows, in my experience.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Ray, that's how I've always done it and it seems to work in most cases.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

In one of Gary LaFonatine's dvd's on Fly fishing Strategies, he suggests to lay the fish on its side in a cupped hand while avoiding touching the lateral sensory lines.

I'd lilke to try your method next time. Unfortunately, I often find myself handling the fish in an orientation that allows the quickest removal of the hook, especially when I must resort to forceps

+ Reply to Thread