+ Reply to Thread

Thread: One fly?

Hybrid View

Default One fly?

There is always some discussion about which one fly a person might use if you were allowed only one fly. I went out today and ran into a day that is kind of unusual for me. After changing flys about 3 times I spent the rest of the day fishing one fly. While I am happy to switch flys based on conditions or structure etc. So when I catch a lot of fish on just one fly up and down the creek I take note. That fly today was a #12 clouser on a tmc200 style hook.

Having said all that what would be y'alls one fly for warmwater (gills, bass, whatever).
    Mine would have to be a neutral colored, or black #12 bugger, or that little clouser I used today. HOSS

P.S. I think using one fly would be extremely hard for me to actually do. I am a tinkerer. So if you don't think you could stick with just one feel free to say so.

Blog Entries

The problem with the 'One Fly' idea is that you had to go through 4 flies to find The One. Based on the One Fly concept, you would have been stuck using your first fly which wasn't catching anything. Guess I am saying, I won't ever restrict myself to just one fly, the fish are too finicky. Larry ---sagefisher---

I'm a tinkerer, too, to the point where I'll take off a fly that has been working well just to see if something else also works. For me, a lot of the interest in fly fishing (and I consider tenkara to be a subset of fly fishing) is the fly. Fishing one fly all the time would make it pretty dull in my opinion.
    Tenkara Bum

I do it. I am absolutely convinced that I can fish with one fly. I often fish with with one fly. The difference is that almost every day it is a another fly: http://www.tenkaratimes.com/tenkara-...kebari-library. Otherwise it's simply boring to me.
    Small stream junkei and tenkara apologist, write for http://www.tenkaratimes.com

BH Olive Chrystal Bugger.

I get the feeling that most would prefer not to use one fly only which I do understand. Only a couple of you suggested the one fly they would use. Remember now this is for fun not necessarily for arguments sake. Having said that I do tend to settle down to a particular fly after a few casts unless it's a tough day. Thus the reason for the question. What is that one fly you tend to settle down to on most trips? That is where I was going with all this.

+ Reply to Thread