+ Reply to Thread

Thread: One fly?

Default One fly?

There is always some discussion about which one fly a person might use if you were allowed only one fly. I went out today and ran into a day that is kind of unusual for me. After changing flys about 3 times I spent the rest of the day fishing one fly. While I am happy to switch flys based on conditions or structure etc. So when I catch a lot of fish on just one fly up and down the creek I take note. That fly today was a #12 clouser on a tmc200 style hook.

Having said all that what would be y'alls one fly for warmwater (gills, bass, whatever).
    Mine would have to be a neutral colored, or black #12 bugger, or that little clouser I used today. HOSS

P.S. I think using one fly would be extremely hard for me to actually do. I am a tinkerer. So if you don't think you could stick with just one feel free to say so.

Blog Entries

The problem with the 'One Fly' idea is that you had to go through 4 flies to find The One. Based on the One Fly concept, you would have been stuck using your first fly which wasn't catching anything. Guess I am saying, I won't ever restrict myself to just one fly, the fish are too finicky. Larry ---sagefisher---

I'm a tinkerer, too, to the point where I'll take off a fly that has been working well just to see if something else also works. For me, a lot of the interest in fly fishing (and I consider tenkara to be a subset of fly fishing) is the fly. Fishing one fly all the time would make it pretty dull in my opinion.
    Tenkara Bum

I do it. I am absolutely convinced that I can fish with one fly. I often fish with with one fly. The difference is that almost every day it is a another fly: http://www.tenkaratimes.com/tenkara-...kebari-library. Otherwise it's simply boring to me.
    Small stream junkei and tenkara apologist, write for http://www.tenkaratimes.com

BH Olive Chrystal Bugger.

I get the feeling that most would prefer not to use one fly only which I do understand. Only a couple of you suggested the one fly they would use. Remember now this is for fun not necessarily for arguments sake. Having said that I do tend to settle down to a particular fly after a few casts unless it's a tough day. Thus the reason for the question. What is that one fly you tend to settle down to on most trips? That is where I was going with all this.

It is very seldom I tie on just one fly, but the popper dropper I use is generally the same two flies. I use an orange popper and a fly I call a Knucks Nymph which is also orange colored.

Well this is a tough one for me too because I'm a fly tier and a tinkerer as well. I guess if I had to choose just one fly based on fishing it for fun and action, I would choose my old friend the Adams in a size 16. Not because it's the most effective pattern, however on many days it is, but because it's an old sentimental friend and it's so fun to fish the top water.

+ Reply to Thread