+ Reply to Thread

Thread: One fly?

Hybrid View

Default One fly?

There is always some discussion about which one fly a person might use if you were allowed only one fly. I went out today and ran into a day that is kind of unusual for me. After changing flys about 3 times I spent the rest of the day fishing one fly. While I am happy to switch flys based on conditions or structure etc. So when I catch a lot of fish on just one fly up and down the creek I take note. That fly today was a #12 clouser on a tmc200 style hook.

Having said all that what would be y'alls one fly for warmwater (gills, bass, whatever).
    Mine would have to be a neutral colored, or black #12 bugger, or that little clouser I used today. HOSS

P.S. I think using one fly would be extremely hard for me to actually do. I am a tinkerer. So if you don't think you could stick with just one feel free to say so.

Blog Entries

The problem with the 'One Fly' idea is that you had to go through 4 flies to find The One. Based on the One Fly concept, you would have been stuck using your first fly which wasn't catching anything. Guess I am saying, I won't ever restrict myself to just one fly, the fish are too finicky. Larry ---sagefisher---

I'm a tinkerer, too, to the point where I'll take off a fly that has been working well just to see if something else also works. For me, a lot of the interest in fly fishing (and I consider tenkara to be a subset of fly fishing) is the fly. Fishing one fly all the time would make it pretty dull in my opinion.

I do it. I am absolutely convinced that I can fish with one fly. I often fish with with one fly. The difference is that almost every day it is a another fly: http://www.tenkaratimes.com/tenkara-...kebari-library. Otherwise it's simply boring to me.
    Small stream junkei and tenkara apologist, write for http://www.tenkaratimes.com

BH Olive Chrystal Bugger.

Sep 12, 2013

Well, now, I guess it's just fishin'

Almost every morning I start the day with a search to see what new stuff Google can find for me on tenkara. I'd have to say that this morning yielded one of the bigger surprises. It seems Dr. Ishigaki is in England visiting the first ever tenkara-only "syndicate" which sounds a lot like the private fishing clubs we have here.

His hosts were concerned that the waters he would be fishing were a bit deep compared to the high gradient mountain streams in Japan. Perhaps his unweighted wet fly would not get deep enough, and the waters offered few plunge pools (which will take an unweighted fly deeper than it would sink on its own). They thought to provide him with bead head flies to get deep enough to have even a chance of catching fish.

Lo and behold, he had brought his own. Who would have thought that the master who is the central figure of the "one fly" philosophy would even accept an offered bead head, let alone tie and bring his own?
    They said that Dr. Ishigaki "was keen to stress that the method is a highly flexible one; and in rivers that fall outside the typical characteristics of Japanese mountain streams ? there are a number of fringe modifications to the core approach" and that it was acceptable to use these modifications "on occasion."

Forgive me, but it seems that if you are fishing any stream anywhere, and the fish are holding deep, and there are no plunge pools (which by the way describes most rivers in the US other than small mountain streams like those on which tenkara was born), bead head flies might well be the core approach rather than the fringe.

I am not in any way trying to poke fun at either Dr. Ishigaki or his hosts. What I am trying to say is that if you are fishing a high gradient mountain stream the core approach works fine - that's why it's the core approach. If you are fishing "rivers that fall outside the typical characteristics of Japanese mountain streams" the core approach might in fact be misplaced.
    If you want to catch fish, and Dr. Ishigaki obviously did (he'd wanted for fifty years to catch a grayling), you will use the flies and techniques that are appropriate for the conditions at hand.

In other words, tenkara is not dogmatic. It isn't a ritual. It isn't a religion or a life style. It has a long tradition - in Japan. In other countries and on other waters, no. If you want to catch fish, especially outside of core waters, you may have to go a bit outside the "core approach."

Although we have never heard this before, we now know that the good doctor is not strictly a one fly angler, and he will use different flies in order to catch fish. If he's not dogmatic, why should you be?

The above was copied from Tenkarabum's Fishing Blog but I believe it fits in very nicely with this subject matter....Golden.
    Last edited by Golden; 09-15-2013 at 05:12 PM.

+ Reply to Thread