+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paddled around for a while ...

A large Hockey rolling gear bag should work.
    I use one for my Fish Cat.
    Has pockets for gear as well.

DuFf

Probably the same thing. We go to Yellowstone every year and buy BIG duffles there. It has to be 36" long however. This is thicker material and with the plastic glue ons such as oar locks foot bar holder plus the D rings and handles, it does not fold up that small. You got to remember this boat is 8 feet long, And it is specially hard if it is cold. I suck all the air out of mine, to make it as flat as possible with my LVM pump. Something else to think about.
    Now if someone could come out with a Rolling Duffle with larger wheels for ground clearance and no plastic bottom so it could fold up small...I would be all over that.
    This is complete Assault with foot bar, seat, sidebags and apron.

AND, the XX will also fit into this same bag minus the bags.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Here's one of my rides. My Sevylor Rio. Life is good......:

Here's my son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter in my Advanced Elements Convertable. (Life vests were removed just for the picture, and replaced immediately afterwards).

Attached Images Attached Images

How are they for fishing in the wind?

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Well, I haven't been fishing in a hurricane with them (yet...), but I have been out in 15 to 20 mph winds on Carter's Lake (chasing freshwater striped and white bass), and I had no more trouble with them than I would've in any other similarly-shaped boat. I have an anchor, so it's never been a problem. Paddling into the wind is no more difficult than it would be in any other similarly-shaped boat, and maybe a little less, because they weight so much less. Wind resistance is more dependent on how much surface area is exposed to the wind, rather than weight. You have to figure that, while the light-weight inflatable may accelerate a bit faster from wind, a heavier boat will be harder to paddle, so it balances out. Again, top-speed through the water is more a function of shape and length, rather than weight. Weight only really affects acceleration, and momentum.

Another plus is that these have 5 separate compartments, so to completely sink them, you'd almost have to rip them to shreds. If you get a hole or rip, you can still paddle to shore safely (allbeit, a little wetter). You can throw on a patch and be back on the water in 15 minutes or so. Should you actually shred the boat, it's still not dead. You can simply sew up the rips in the cover, buy new bladders, and they'll be almost as good as new.

It probably comes down to just a matter of what you like. I love my inflatables, and will not be selling or trading them. I even sold my Pelican hard-shell a few weeks ago, because I wasn't using it anymore. I paddle a lot more since I've gotten these boats, because they are so much less trouble to transport, launch, and store.

I had a clear-bottomed Dyad Kayak for a while, but I let one of my sons beat me out of it. It was a great boat as well, and my first inflatable. My #2 son uses it in Florida, on the coast.

I can't speak for all inflatables, but you can't hardly go wrong with these two models.

You are right, it is all in what you like. I like inflatables too. But I like fin power. You just have more hands free fishing, anytime.
    And you only need hip waders. Three air chambers in the 8' models more in the larger, but the material is several layers including Kevlar. No zippers so no chance of sand getting in. These are a few of my favorite things.

+ Reply to Thread