+ Reply to Thread

Thread: guide spacing

Blog Entries

Default guide spacing

On my first rod, a forecast 5wt, I just went with the recomended spacing without testing, and glued the guides on with super glue before wrapping. Did I just get lucky? I'm building a H&H IM6 8wt now. Is it necessary to test the guide spacing with a weighted line before wrapping? What are we trying to accomplish? Will masking tape hold the guides well enough? I don't think I will use the glue technique this time.

Greg

Greg,
    I like to tape the guides on, lace her up with line and look at the flex of the rod to see if it is where it should be. I also have a pretty good collection of rods and often times I will match the flex of the rod I am building with one that I like and use that spacing. There are no "written rules" that I know of. Now on that super glue thing...I tried that approach a few years ago and found that it often left a gap between the guide and the rod that 1.) made it harder to wrap, and 2.) didn't allow the flex-kote to build a good bond of the wrapping to the rod. I do know there are lots of folks that do that but just be cautious.

Using masking tape is a good way to do that but use a good quality masking tape. I use Automotive grade which holds really well and leaves less adhesive residue on the blank when I remove it. I have a friend that builds and he swears by the painters tape....different strokes for different folks I guess..the main thing is, you're addicted now and with every rod you build, you will want to do another and do something a little different. To me, one of the best thrills I get is making new tools that help me do a better job...that is a blast too.

[This message has been edited by dleo6446 (edited 16 July 2005).]

Greg,

I don't like the idea of using super glue. If you want to use glue, try a hot melt glue stick. You dont need a gun, just use it with a lighter like when you glue on a tip. It doesn't need much, just a tiny bit on the guide foot.

I prefer masking tape.

------------------
    Joe

Blog Entries

Thanks for the replies. If the masking tape will do the job then I won't use glue. The glue was a little messy, permanent, and just another step anyway but it allowed for removing the tape before wrapping. This new 8wt will be alot faster than my cheapo so the spacing will probably be different so I will string it up and check. Addicted, yes. I have a mental list of the rods I would like to build.

Greg

Hi goto your local automotive body repair shop & purchase some 1/4" masking tape in 100' rolls, works excellant on guides, what you want is the 3M brand

Blog Entries

I had the same idea except that I brought home some 1/8" black vinyl layout tape from work. It is from the office supply store. I thought I would give it a try since last time I cut masking tape into little strips and it was a pain. I just ordered another rod kit, so I gotta get cracking on this one first. Thanks for the tips.

No expert here but I've been using the fine elastic string that Al Campbell suggests in the tutorials. Tied tight it holds fine, allows adjustment of the guide and when snipped off, leaves no residue. They have it in the cloth department of most stores.
    My dos pesos,
    bd

Several years ago a Dentist friend turned me onto "Orthodontic Elastics". For most of my rod wrapping I prefer the 1/8" rings.
    (they look like very small rubber bands)
    Quite inexpensive. Easily found on a Google search.

Denny
    Denny

Blog Entries

Dont use super glue! you'll mar the surface, if you need to move the guide. Several other folks have suggested elastic string.

I use it for all my builds. It goes under the trade name of "stretchy string" and can be had at most craft stores. It's cheap, allows you to hold the guides in place, move em if needed, and best of all if you touch it with a razor it comes right off. Try it, I think once you do it will solve all your problems.

+ Reply to Thread