+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me what rods reels you have bought and sold this year.

Default Tell me what rods reels you have bought and sold this year.

Just curious what everyone else has tried and if I hold the honors this year,so without any ado I will start!
    Rods bought:Loomis gl4,Loomis eastfork fr904-3,Loomis gl3 fr904-2 times 2,St Croix legend ultra 764-4,St Croix legend ultra 804-4,St Croix legend ultra 804-2, and a 805-2 legend ultra.Diamondback classic 805-6,Winston 865-3 wt,Winston vapor 804-4, and a Abel super 4n and 3n with spare spool.

Now things I sold, Loomis Gl4,Loomis east fork fr904-3,one of the two Loomis fr904-2 Gl3,St Croix legend ultra 764-4 and 804-4.Broke the St Croix legend ultra 804-2,sold Diamondback classic 805-6,Winston 865-
    3,St Croix legend ultra 805-2.Sold the Abel super 4n.

Boy I have run the gauntlet this year and I may sell one more and buy one more before the year ends.Want another 764-2 rod.

I've just gotten into this sport (money pit) this year, and so far I've bought:
    TFO Pro Sig 5wt 8-6" and Orvis Clearwater reel,
    Echo Solo beginner combo 5wt
    Reddington Clearwater combo 5wt
    Reddington CT 4 wt and Cabelas 4wt reel
    plus all the lines/backing/flies, and related gear.
    Not sold anything yet, still in the acquisition mode at this time.

Sold? You can sell your old rods?

I thought that all the old rods went into the "rod barrel" in my son's closet... That's what happens to the 30 or so at our house... cause ya' know everything that is his, is "his", and everything that is mine, is "ours." HA!
    Last edited by bowfin47; 09-13-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling

I bought a TFO BVK 6 wt and a Lamson Konic reel; and a used TFO Lefty Kreh Professional series 7wt w/ used Okuma SLV reel.

I really enjoy them both.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I've thinned out my rods this year a bit. I sold a 8 1/2 foot Scott S3 3 Weight that was so stiff that it cast quite well with a five weight line. It was a great casting rod but it was not fun to fish. I also sold an Echo Edge 7 Weight rod that required an eight weight Clouser line to cast well. My eight weight rod felt better to cast so I unloaded the Echo rod.

I'll probably get a five weight rod that will actually cast a five weight line sometime this winter.

Forecast 6'6" 2 wt. blank, guides, grip, etc. and a cheap Chinese made reel to go with it. Been a good boy this year.
    A spare spool for my 4280 (does that count?)
    3 Pacific Bay ultralight spinning rod building kits, reels to match (gifts for friend's kids)

Sold a St. Croix Imperial 4pc. 8wt.

Gave away a Fenwick HMG 9' 5wt with a Browning Midas reel and SA line to a friend just starting to fly fish and a little down on his luck re jobs, etc. Bought a Winston BIIx 9' 7wt.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

None. What I have are perfectly capable for the fishing I do, and I've fallen out of the "new gear will solve problems" crowd to a large extent. Good quality fly tackle is getting too "boutique" for it's own good. Nothing against using high quality gear, I firmly believe in it, it is just that it seems with fly tackle it has reached a point where you're paying as much for the label as for the item.

Disposable income keeps going down, everything else keeps going up, I am very careful with my gear because I doubt I could replace it with like quality for what I could afford.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

I've bought 7 rods in the last year. All vintage glass.
    3 Fenwicks, 1 Phillipson, 1 Heddon, 1 Garcia, 1 Cortland (St Croix)
    I fished the Garcia 10wt this week for the first time. Not the best rod that I've ever used but well worth the $15 that I paid for it.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

A 6'6" 2wt, a 10' 4wt and a 9' 7wt and reels for each. Just started building rods... also built a 9' 5wt for my son but, it doesn't count its not mine.

+ Reply to Thread