+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sinking line tips

Default Sinking line tips

Picked up a couple of sinking lines today on close out; I've never fished one before although I do have one of those interchangabale sinking tip kits which I've fished a few times and didn't much care for. Any special tips on casting and fishing them, flies to use, etc? Thanks...
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I will sometimes use a sink tip line in rivers early in the year when fishing for smallmouth bass.

Tips

1. For the most part you do not need a long leader. I normally keep mine at 4' or less.

2. You can fish just about any unweighted or weighted streamer that you want. If it is too heavily weighted and depending on the depth of the water you are fishing you may get hung up.

3. When casting, I tend to open my loop a bit and fish down and across.

4. Depending on the length of the sinking tip, you may want to retrieve you fly in until you get to the point where sink tip meets the floating part of the fly line. Or you can do a dynamic rool cast and shot the line back towards your target.

5. I never use a sink tip rated more than what the rating of my fly rod. In other words if I am fishing an 8wt rod then my sink tip is rated for an 8wt.

Good luck and have fun!
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Schooner, I just picked one up for my 5wt. Couldn't pass up a 10-dollar line. I think it will be excellent for white bass and crappie!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Practice your casting. Whole different feel when casting a sinking line.

Sink tips or full sink? What rate or sink (usually measured by ips or maybe "type" or both)? Sink tips are generally used to swing flies (streamers, wets, nymphs) in moving water, and full sink lines are used in still water. Somewhat interchangeable, but a sink tip mends more easily in current than a full sink, and a full sink gets down and stays down better than a sink tip in still water. Both are easier to cast than a floating line with weight, and they are therefore useful for getting unweighted or lightly weighted flies down to fishing depth.

Me too, Kid! Picked up a 5wt and a 4wt and just got off line with Orvis to order spools for my BBSII's on those two rods. Can't believe they've discontinued the BBS reels; I have seven of them and have found them to be a great value. Luckily they still have some spare spools.

Whatfy, these are 10' sink tip lines; the 5 says type iV and the 4 says type III if that tells you anything.
    Last edited by Prairieschooner; 09-13-2013 at 01:39 AM.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

+ Reply to Thread