I was out for a week and had a chance to FF in the salt for the first time it was a blast hooked up with on small tarpon it lasted about 30 seconds, anyway my question is based on the following.
I took along on the trip the first rod I made a 6wt. 8 1/2'(along with a 3wt, 8wt) reason it did not come out too good, and did not even work for me,figued it did not suit my style since my second build worked great,to make a long story short I did not realy care for the rod and did not even think I would need a 6wt on the trip, anyway on the second day my 9 year old decided he wanted to share the 3wt rod with me since I caught more fish than he did using cut bait, knowing sharing with him ment that I would not get a chance to fish I decided to rig up the 6wt, a minor problem with the reel mede me put on the 8wt line (it was not planned). we got to the beach and after my first cast I had a favorite rig, I could not beleive it I could do almost anything with it worked better that my factory built stuff and high priced lines (the 8 wt line is a no brand name that cost about $25). My question is what did I do wrong with the blank the only thing I could come up with is that I put too much thread on the ferrul about 1 3/8" would that cause the problem?. I plan to try the 8wt line on all my factory built 6wt. this week end.