+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ohiotuber's SouthBend 291

Default Ohiotuber's SouthBend 291

Mikey, after receiving your SouthBend today, about all I can say is this is one great little rod. I hope you don't mind sharing your great find with the other members here....This is a beautiful specimen of one of SouthBends finest...

SouthBend 291, 7 1/2' 4 piece in beautiful condition. the varnish is very good to excellent, as is the grip and reelseat. This rod wasn't used very much at all in the past 20 to 30 years and the result of just sitting around and drying out in someones closet didn't help Mike when he fished it and had a ferrule separation. not a big issue and certainly not uncommon.

Wrapped in gold with red tips and is just a beautiful rod. Can't wait to get it all finished and back to you my friend...

[This message has been edited by dleo6446 (edited 04 August 2005).]

another shot

Nice rod Mike,Have a pair of SB's Myself...Not 7'ers thoe...but in that condition..Sorry to hear of the seperation....but thats a common and rather quick fix...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Leo,
    Sorry, I had missed your post until now. In the very short time I fished it before sending it to you for restoration, that baby became my FAVORITE rod. Can't wait to see it after some of "Leo's Magic"!
    If anyone out there has not yet fished bamboo, TREAT yourself!...some, like these South Bends, are NOT real expensive, but holding & fishing with a bit of history is really somethin' special!!...Right, Leo??
    Thanks buddy,
    Mikey
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Nice rod Mike and thanks for telling me it was shown here. You're right about fishing bamboo, it's a treat.

Vic

Great little rod, I have been wanting one for a long time. It's "on my list."

I find myself fishing more bamboo now than graphite, but there's still a place for modern rods in my quiver. Most of the time though I fish cane...right now I have two, a 9' Granger Victory and an 8 1/2' Montague Rapidan.

The South Bend 290/291 series is among the finest of that company's offerings. I also want to get my hands on a 323 and a 359 at 8 1/2', equally regarded as among their best tapers.

Enjoy it!

R

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:e7736]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:e7736]

I have a 323 and a 359 and the 323 is really sweet ( a little heavy though). I also have a couple of the 290's as I am very partial to 2 piece bamboo rods, and they are among my favorites to fish. Such a pleasure to cast.

I just picked another one up off of E-Bay and got it for a very nice price for the rod. It was only advertised as an 8' 2 piece with Super Z ferrules on it. When I got the rod this week, I was absolutely thrilled with it and it's looks and action. While there is no name on it I believe it to be an Orvis Kit rod based on the taper and the color and quality of the cane. Has a really nice parabolic action to it.

I have a 291 as well. Mine has a little history. I bought it off ebay. I thought it was a sleeper cuz the guy had it listed as "South Bend Bamboo Fly POLE". Not many bidders and I think I bought it "right"...bout $160 as I recall. The rod was as discribed, very little usage but old, late 50's is my guess. It had a difinate set to it but I strung it up to test cast....when I disassebled the rod two ferrules came off...
    I emailed by friend John Channer. He said send it. Got it back...John straightened it and reset the ferrules. It reaquired the set in a short time. I tried to straighten it myself and broke the tip section....back to John.
    He built a new tip, rewrapped the entire rod so the thread would match...looks like a new one.
    The rub.....I have more in that rod than I could ever get out of it.

Hey Buzz,
    Yeah, you do, but you also have that bamboo! As Leo, Vic (Sharps) & others have told me...I am spoiled for life!
    You didn't mention how it casts & fishes for you, so....what do you think?
    Mike

------------------
    "I've HAD muh say!".....
    George MacMichael from The Real Mccoys
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread