+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whitcraft Fly Pattern

Blog Entries

Default Whitcraft Fly Pattern

I am tying some old fly patterns from a book of old patterns I have. I didn't do justice to this one because I only had mylar tinsel instead of fine gold wire for ribbing.
    I think it is a very interesting pattern though, because the abdomen is formed by wrapping 2 brown and 1 yellow moose main fibers. Unfortunately, the tinsel kind of overwhelms the body.
    Anyone else tie this old pattern?
    Thanks,
    Byron

Looks like a glitzy Adams, but you can't really see the body from that angle.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Byron,
    I've tied it as described in the table in the back of Jack Dennis' first book, but the peacock quill body isn't nearly as interesting as the body on your pattern. I really like the old western patterns; Buckskin Bob, Pink Lady, Reverand Lange, etc., etc.
    Nice work!
    Arnie

Blog Entries

Thanks Arnie,
    Jesse: Went back and found gold wire. It is not fine enough though. But, in this one, you might see the body better.

Blog Entries

Arnie
    here is this one's recipe

]
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 09-08-2013 at 03:02 AM.

Beautiful tie, Byron. Whatever size gold wire you use, I think the body will show better if you reverse the rib. Just my opinion.

Blog Entries

You're right, and the pattern calls for that. Just my habit, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    I am tying some old fly patterns from a book of old patterns I have. I didn't do justice to this one because I only had mylar tinsel instead of fine gold wire for ribbing.
    I think it is a very interesting pattern though, because the abdomen is formed by wrapping 2 brown and 1 yellow moose main fibers. Unfortunately, the tinsel kind of overwhelms the body.
    Anyone else tie this old pattern?
    Thanks,
    Byron

Interesting. When I started tying, my first fly tying book was the FAMILY CIRCLE GUIDE(1954) and I tyed every fly in it, including the 'Whitcraft'. The listing has a somewhat different recipe for the body. So I checked with a few other 'older' books and they too have a different body then the one you cited. Nice fly regardless.

Reminds me of another old pattern called the Mosquito. It's tied with the same light and dark moose mane body; either grizzly or adams hackle and tail; and girizzly hackle tip wings, sometimes upright and sometimes down. Not my fly or photo, but here's a good example ...
    DSCN0122.jpg

I've also seen light and dark moose mane used for midge larva and pupa bodies.

It does make a very nice segmented body.

You guys are all close but "no cigars" yet. Bob Carmicheal came up the fly Whitcraft and you can find out what he has to say about the fly if you have a copy of J Edson Leonard's book "Flies"....try pg. 302 in the appendix.

BTW....Carmicheal is still alive and somewhere close here in Denver. Just yesterday had a conversation with a local antique fly shop owner who told me that Bob comes in and visits with him form time to time. He commented that Bob is worn physically but his mind is sharp as a tack. I hope I get a chance to bump into him and shoot some s.....

.....the original was tied with a macaw quill for the body.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

+ Reply to Thread