+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Collins Hackle

Default Collins Hackle

I only have experience with dry fly capes from Metz and Whiting, but was considering purchasing some from Collins Hackle Farm. They sell commercial, grades 1, 2, and 3. I am interested in tying flies in sizes 12 - 18. For those who have purchased from them, what are the fly size ranges and "sweet spot" in ranges in what they offer? In addition, comments about their overall quality would be appreciated.

Excellent! You will not be disappointed in hackle uniformity, sizes of hackle, non-twisting stems, colors, barb count, stiffness, or any quality issue. In the unlikely chance that you are dissatisfied, Charlie fully guarantees his necks to your satisfaction. I must have purchased over 50 necks from him over the last 25 years. Period, end of story.

Allan

I have to second what Allan says. I have for the most part quit buying anything but Collins hackle. His colors including his dyed capes are outstanding. I have at least thirty cock capes and another 15 hens. You also get the saddle at no extra charge. The reason being he grows his chickens for quality capes. As a result he has thin stems, high barb count. He has in my opinion the best grizzle and cree.

You also can't beat the price. His commercial grade has the same quality of his grade 1's just don't tye as many flies.

One other thing, during the growing period he plucks a hackle puts it on a hook. If it twist or has any unfavorable traits that bird goes to the pot, so to speak.

Charlie Collins has some great hackle in interesting colors; I got a barred cream that looks like a washed out cree. Quality of the feathers is excellent; I've got a couple Whiting capes that are better but the Collins hackle is first rate, price is good and the saddle is a nice bonus. Wish the College Park fly show was still around; always bought some stuff from Charlie there.

Regards,
    Scott

RJD31,

Well, did anything come of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    RJD31,

Well, did anything come of this?
    I received some free samples from Collins and he recommended purchasing Grade 3. I plan on buying from him. Thanks for everyone's input.

Ron

+ Reply to Thread