+ Reply to Thread

Thread: and when does a nymph become a streamer?

Default and when does a nymph become a streamer?

I picked out a fly from my box yesterday that looked like it would serve as a weight to get my other fly down into the fishes target and after I got a fish on it wondered about what it was. It had a peacock body, bead head, and a marabou tail - also a kf stripe down the side. It was one of my ties, but don't remember where I got the idea for it. I do remember a pattern of Gary LaFontaines where he used a marabou tail on a nymph, but it made me wonder.

I dead drift Wooly Buggers (Size 10-6) on the bottom just like a nymph. I believe (only the fish know), they are taken for large Stone Nymphs. This is a Streamer, that is being nymphed. Come to think of it. I use to do the same with Muddler Minnows.

Harry Murray uses the term "strymph" for flies that can be fished either as streamer or as a nymph (sometimes on the same cast). He ties something similar to what you describe where he uses a bunch of shank length ostrich herl for the tail. http://catalog.murraysflyshop.com/co...urrays-strymph

Rich Osthoff ties a similar fly with a long tuft of rabbit fur for a tail. He advocates fishing it in an "active" manner which strikes me as a cross between dead drift nymphing and active, tight line streamer fishing. http://www.richosthoff.com/2378.html

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    I dead drift Wooly Buggers (Size 10-6) on the bottom just like a nymph. I believe (only the fish know), they are taken for large Stone Nymphs. This is a Streamer, that is being nymphed.
    Actually, you could say it's just the opposite. Russ Blessing designed the Wooly Bugger to imitate a hellgrammite -- the nymph of the dobson fly. So, it's really a nymph that many people fish as a streamer.

Some of the flat wing streamers like the Wood Special (like the one at http://globalflyfisher.com/streamers...wing/woods.htm) work very nicely as large stone fly nymphs when dead drifted.

The pattern that I would use to imiate iso nymphs (Prince Nymphs, Zug Bugs, etc) are often better fished like a small streamers, since the naturals are active swimmers, so those sort of straddle the line. And almost anything I'd use to imitate Green Drake or Hex nymphs could be called streamers, just due to the sheer size.
    Last edited by redietz; 09-02-2013 at 08:14 PM.
    Bob

+ Reply to Thread