+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When does a fly become a lure?

Hybrid View

Default When does a fly become a lure?

First, don't get me wrong. I make my own spinner baits and in-line spinners. No value judgement of good or bad. But, when does a fly become a lure? Large streamers and flies made with jig heads can be used as lures just as easily as a fly. Is the deciding factor the line and what it is attached to on the back end?
    Last edited by billhouk; 09-01-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Pandora's Box - By asking the question of "When does a fly become a lure?", you may have just opened it. Technically, a fly is alwas a lure. Wikipedia says "A fishing lure is an object attached to the end of a fishing line which is designed to resemble and move like the prey of a fish." Thus, every fly is a lure.

That said, I know why you asked that question. I have seen many 'flies' that I would call a lure, but fot the fact that they were hand made and tied on a hook.

Many states have created laws pertaining to 'fly fishing only' situations, and even their laws are a bit vague.

For me, it is a simple answer. If I use a fly rod and a fly line to cast the 'fly', then the fly is a fly. Main reason, the line is taking the fly with it. If I use a spinning rod with a thin mono type line, then it is a lure, main reason, the lure is taking the line with it. There are streamers and such that can be used in either manner of casting, so it all depends upon what rod/reel/line I am using.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Last edited by sagefisher; 09-01-2013 at 02:06 PM.

I read RayBergman's book "Trout" and he calls flies lures lot of times. To me, the line between fly and lure is pretty vague and fuzzy. Although flies are generally made principally of hair, feathers and their synthetic counterparts there are also flies made mainly of epoxy, foam or some other form of plastic. And there there are lures, bucktail and marabou jigs pop to mind, that are mainly made of hair or feathers. So what does it matter, in my opinion, not that much. If you throw it with a fly rod most of the time I'll call it a fly. If you throw it with spinning tackle most of time it's a lure.

I think Larry (sagefisher) has pretty much answered this question the best that it can be answered without creating sides.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I'm not experienced with salt water or steelhead/salmon but ,in addition to what sagefisher said, a further designation for me is the number of hooks on it. A fly ,for me, never has more than one hook .
    Best
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

I'm not wanting to start a battle. I wondered about others opinions. Sqalles2 raises a good point. However, I think there are some flies with stingers in them. This may be an example of what you are throwing it with determines if it is a fly. Other (polite) thoughts?
    Last edited by billhouk; 09-01-2013 at 04:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread