Thread: When does a fly become a lure?

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    That excludes a lot of new and classic patterns for leeches, crawfish, minnows, and a large group of salt water patterns I cannot name. There are classic salmon patterns tied on double hooks and new patterns and old with wire for strictly weight and wire as part of the fly. Isn't the real question when is a lure a fly? If memory serves me well, I believe the first fish I ever caught on a outfit with a rod and reel was on a popping bug behind a bobber on my first spincast outfit. Was the popper still a fly? Or does the lure have to attached to a flyline on a flyrod? Is a plastic worm or shad thrown with a flyrod a fly?
    Jesse,
    With only 1 exception, the 'classic salmon patterns', none of the others are insects and are, as I wrote in my opinion, 'lures' not 'flies'. Classic salmon patterns were originally, and are generally still refered to as 'lures' by traditional salmon fly fishers. As far as using a spinning outfit to cast a 'fly'. Let's say you had used an Adams dry below the bobber instead of a popper. You would have caught that fish on a fly but you were certainly not fly fishing. Oh - "Is a plastic worm or shad thrown with a flyrod a fly?" NO!
    Maybe you agree or disagree. It's entirely up to you.
    Last edited by Allan; 09-01-2013 at 11:53 PM.