+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Broken Winston 4 wght

Default Broken Winston 4 wght

Morning all...I have a 8'6" Boron Winston I have broken about an inch from the ferrule. Because of issues with Winstons Service Dept and my stubborness I refuse to send it back for another $200 repair. Is there anyone out there that will attempt this repair or give advice as to how I might repair myself. The break is on the top piece and about an inch from the ferrule. (I am since ever so more careful when I "throw" my beadhead woolybuggers).
    Thanks
    Bernie

Bernie,
    Try posting over on rodbuilding.org. Lots of rod builders over there that I'm sure could help you out.

Dave,
    Thanks for the info. Just "returned" from registering at the site !!!
    Again....thanks
    Bernie

I must remember this thread when thinking 'top of the line' companies and the thought of an expensive rod, versus one I feel comfortable casting, comes up.
    Interesting you wrote, "I refuse to send it back for another $200 repair." So this isn't your first repair, huh? How much have you got tied up in that rod. Maybe you should rethink your choice of rods?
    Oh - hope you can get it fixed.

Allan

Blog Entries

Allan
    I took a serious pop from Winston last fall on a broken tip... $182 and to say I am disgusted is putting it nicely. Not sure the cost bothered me as much as the total lack of communication and cryptic email they did send.

Funny thing I was fishing with a Winston pro-staff member when I broke it and he assured me they would do a great job of cleaning it up for the money... They did not, but they got my money.

Winston will never be considered again... Sage has such horrible customer service lately they are also off my list. Scott is looking very good...
    art

This reminds me of a few threads on this site in which I was chastised for my comments about 'inexpensive' rods, wherein I stated I prefered comfort, reasonable casting, reasonable quality, 'Plain Jane' cosmetics, cheap cork and reel seat over such things as: 'grade A' cork, stainless this and that, architecturally designed something, state of the art that thing, etc. I was reprimended with the old saying that, "You get what you pay for". Well, it appears that while I fish comfortably, happily and without fear of damaging my $$$s rod, there are those who truly get what they pay for - they get a 'Royal Screw'.
    Oh, and from a comfort, casting, action, big fish fighting and overall functional perspective, I'll put my very inexpensive 9', 5wt rod up against anyones TOTL equivelant anytime. Actually, I have and, more often then not, it came out on top even by the other rods' owner.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    This reminds me of a few threads on this site in which I was chastised for my comments about 'inexpensive' rods, wherein I stated I prefered comfort, reasonable casting, reasonable quality, 'Plain Jane' cosmetics, cheap cork and reel seat over such things as: 'grade A' cork, stainless this and that, architecturally designed something, state of the art that thing, etc. I was reprimended with the old saying that, "You get what you pay for". Well, it appears that while I fish comfortably, happily and without fear of damaging my $$$s rod, there are those who truly get what they pay for - they get a 'Royal Screw'.
    Oh, and from a comfort, casting, action, big fish fighting and overall functional perspective, I'll put my very inexpensive 9', 5wt rod up against anyones TOTL equivelant anytime. Actually, I have and, more often then not, it came out on top even by the other rods' owner.
    I fish everything from TOTL to pretty ordinary rods and when salmon fishing (where lots of rods get broken) or dry fly fishing for grayling (where soft is just fine) I will use cheap rods and enjoy them.

But if wind has to be bucked or really big bugs need heaving a stiffer, better rod is often required. Cheaper stiffer rods weigh a lot more than TOTL stuff and that is a huge difference.

The skill set the caster has is the real difference between how well rods work. And the line is actually the biggest limit to the entire set-up short of the caster.

If you cannot cast into the backing every time you may want to be careful about betting on any rod...

hap,

"If you cannot cast into the backing every time you may want to be careful about betting on any rod... "

Interesting comment considering that lines from different manufacturers come in different lengths.

Blog Entries

I own two Winston's and love their buttery smooth cast. They are both LT's.
    I love the look and feel of Winston rods.
    Fortunately, I have never broken a rod in 40 years of fishing. Hopefully, I will never have to find out how rod companies' service programs are.

Wow! Haven't been here for awhile. Sorry to hear that Winston -- and also Sage -- are having problems in the customer service / warranty areas. I have both and fortunately, I have not had to use their services.
    I also have some less expensive rods and many that I built myself. I prefer those I built myself and the less expensive types.

I have to wonder if the overall business model of lifetime warranties on these rods makes any sense. And, if there wasn't a lifetime (or close to it) warranty, if rods would cost so much. Heck, why do fly rods cost so much? I was looking at spinning rods/casting rods at a sporting goods store (and I don't use them but just curious) and couldn't find one much more than about $80. Probably the same graphite.

I was recently fishing in Alaska and used a Temple Forks Switch rod - that I have had for several years and use almost exclusively for salmon and steelhead. The reel seat came loose along with some of the cork in the handle. I've probably caught several hundred salmon and steelhead with this rod. The torque and twist forces that a rod undergoes when landing a fish must be tremendous. Anyway, when I returned from the trip, I called Temple Forks, told them what happened - and they told me to send it to them and they would repair it (or replace it). They even waived the repair fee. The rod has not come back yet; however, if it ends well, I couldn't expect anymore or be any more satisfied with the service.
    Last edited by Orthoman; 09-28-2013 at 02:26 PM.

+ Reply to Thread