+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Echo Ion 6wt ?

Default Echo Ion 6wt ?

I am thinking about adding a 6wt with a fighting butt and was wondering does anyone have this rod and what your thoughts are. I would primarily be using it for smallmouth bass in smaller rivers.

Thanks

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I only have the 8wt of the Echo Ion.
    Everyone has their favorite rod, I suppose. I will say I really enjoy my TFO BVK 6wt (and the 5wt too). It can do everything from crappies to carp...including smallmouth bass and trout. It has great feel, and casts like a dream.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Dave,
    All I have in the Ion is a 9wt & it's a good rod that I find a little on the heavy side, but then it IS a 9wt. I also have an Echo Edge "84" in a 6wt. That's an 8'4" 6wt & it is an absolute rocket launcher. Probably the best casting rod I own. Try to cast both of those & decide from there. Call me if you want.

Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

depending on what you already have why would you need a 6wt? If I had a choice for warm water between a 6 and a 5 I'd take a 6 so I can throw poppers. Just remove the fighting butt though. So far as echo rods, ???? My 2cents.

Quote Originally Posted by HOSSCOOPER View Post
    depending on what you already have why would you need a 6wt? If I had a choice for warm water between a 6 and a 5 I'd take a 6 so I can throw poppers. Just remove the fighting butt though. So far as echo rods, ???? My 2cents.
    I already have a 6wt, but was thinking of getting another but one with a fighting butt.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Why a fighting butt? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by HOSSCOOPER View Post
    Why a fighting butt? Just curious.
    There have been times, when catching wipers and carp that it would be nice to stick the butt of the rod in my belly to help provide a bit more leverage. When the whites are running it gets pretting tiring after a while holding the rod and fighting them using just my wrist and fore arm.

Dave,

I tried to send you a PM and your PM box is full. I may have a 6wt with fighting butt you may be interested in.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    Dave,

I tried to send you a PM and your PM box is full. I may have a 6wt with fighting butt you may be interested in.
    Warren

That's odd, because I only had on msg in my in-box. It is empty now.

There ya go, never thought about catching wipers and or sandies while spawning, I assume, could wear out your arm. I have never had that problem unfortunately. Thanks for putting up with me. HOSS

+ Reply to Thread