+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Build

Default First Build

Well, finally bit the bullet, and ordered a forecast kit from H&H for my first rod build. Had them swap out the regular guides with single foot guides without any problems (real nice folks to deal with)

Even got the video version of thier 'build kit', figuring it wouldn't hurt to have yet more info in addition to what's available here, and elsewhere online.

I'm sure I'll ask a question or two in the process of getting things together, but I just wanted to say it's rather exciting to be building one after all these years.

Stay tuned for the results as they happen

Sean

You will do fine. Just finished my first and second rods in the last couple of weeks. Happy building,
    bd

Have fun. I have built 3 of them now. Redid the first two because I just wasn't happy with the way they came out.

H&H are great folks to deal with.

Rick

SG, have fun and enjoy it! I'm working on my second Forecast now, its a blast!

A word of caution:

This can get just as addicting as tying,so you are forewarned!!!!....lol
    Enjoy!!!!

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Ok, well everything arrived yesterday in fine shape. Already have the spine marked, tip top on, and the reel seat assembled.

Now if only that glue would hurry up and dry.

Sean

Wraps are done, guides, and all in place! Takes some getting used to wrapping a rod, but it didn't turn out half bad. Finish glue is setting as I type this.

As you can see, I'm using a very sophisticated drying rack, aka, a cardboard box. Used the cardboard box and bobbin method that was mentioned in the graphite rodbuilding series here as well, which worked out rather well.

Sean

My 8' 4wt. has the same colors.....and looks as though you're doing just fine to me...Keep up with exactly what your doing and all will be fine...Happy Fishing...

Helps to MIC the thread wraps as you go to maintain the same lenth on single footed guides...Just a thought...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 25 July 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread