+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Caught this nice Brown today on the Elk River in TN and on a DRY FLY!!!

Default Caught this nice Brown today on the Elk River in TN and on a DRY FLY!!!

This will make Jack and Kaboom happy! While waiting for one of the disabled vets to join me, I fished an area where the water is only about 2 foot deep in the pockets and the fish are happy to hit a dry fly. I hardly ever use a dry fly, but, this little area makes a good place for someone to practice with a dry fly. On my 4th drift with a #12 Bunny Duster dry, this guy came out to play:

Needless to say, I may practice more often with dry flies!!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Nice Warren, but what is a bunny duster? I tried to google it but the results were not FF related...........
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Beautiful Brown Warren! Congrats.

Thumbs up

Warren? Dry fly?....In the same breath? OMG, the world is coming to an end!!!

Nice fish Warren.

Mikey
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I am Happy, Happy, Happy Warren! Another almost converted to the sound thinking side of fly fishing. Really nice fish Warren. What in the world caused you to tie on a dry? As I see it, there is hope for you yet!!

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

pillcaster - When I was at the Mich Fish-In this past June with Brad and Jack, the weather got to warm and the river was running in the 70's which did not help the fishing any. There were some that would cooperate on small dry flies during the day and I did want to catch some fish while I was there, so, I did fish some dries. I purchased my dry flies at Gate's Lodge Fly Shop and they had a dry fly they labled as the "Bunny Duster". The tail, body and wing was a gray/blue rabbit fur and the fish up there liked it. I Googled it and found a "Grey Duster" but no "Bunny Duster". As soon as the fly dries out, I will take a picture of it and post it here or send it to you so you can see it.

Brad - Yes, I used a dry fly!! I found a place on the Elk River that is very shallow and has a slow current running through it and lots of fish that were really active with feeding on the surface. I decided that this place would be a great place to practice dry fly fishing because the current was slow enough that you could get a long drift and not have to fight to keep mending the fly line. Everytime I reach this place, I have tied on either a dry fly or "doped" up one of my softhackle flies and fished it dry and have always caught fish. Most of the time the fish were small running from 7" to 12" and all were browns. This fish hit in an area that was no more than 1 foot deep on both sides of a hole about 2 1/2 feet deep. I was shocked to find it here in this small run, but, I am having a good time fishing the dry there. I have tried the dry fly on the main river, but, it is not as much fun because of the stronger current requiring a lot of mending to get a good drift. Brad, the next time you make a trip here to TN, I will be happy to take you to this spot so you can have some fun. Just let me know.....

I am still a sub-surface fly fisherman, but, I am learning to fish the dry fly too. I did fish, again, today and caught 16 brown trout and one rainbow. No really big ones today, but, sure a lot of fun.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Congrats on both days, fun no matter the method,

Warren - great looking Brown Trout and caught on a dry too! Sounds like you had some fun... Doug.
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/

Really nice fish Warren. Must have been a hoot when it took the dry.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

bobbyg,

On that particular day I used a different rod just because I had not used it in awhile. When I set the hook the rod bent further down than the rod I had been using and I immediately thought that this rod was not a stiff as the one I had been using for awhile. When it made the first run, I got a look at it and said, "OMG"! Nothing wrong with the rod, just a much larger fish than I was use to catching in this area! I have to admit that I had a lot of fun fishing the dry fly that day and in days following. Yesterday, I had some disabled vets with me on the river and I caught a few fish on a flymph and then decided to tie on the dry and see what happens and ended up catching 3 more fish on the dry. I will always be a sub-surface fisherman, but, I now know that I can catch fish on the surface when the conditions call for it and dry fly fishing is fun.
    Warren

+ Reply to Thread