+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pens?

Default Pens?

What is everyone using to write on your rods with? I hav efound a few pens that do ok but they don't have that crips look to them that I would like for them to have. I have given thought to the use of decals and I tried a few of them but to me, the writing looks better...

Leo;
    You beat me to it, I want to know too.

P. S. I got the photos, Thanks. I'm going to forward them to my office. I've got DSL there.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

I like to use a crow quill (fine line) or a ink nib like Speedball (available in various line weights). This is old fashoned pen and ink stuff. Should be available a a good art supply store. On graphite I have used white india ink, but have found white latex paint, thinned a bit with water-- enough so it flows, gives a better density. On cane I use india ink. One trick to getting a straight script on graphite -- hold the rod so that a light is reflected in the side of the blank, it will be a straight line and parallel with the blank. BTW I think you really do need to give the blank a bit of tooth with a light application of 0000 steel wool, then clean off the steel wool oil w/ alcohol. Don't scuff beyond where you will coat with the same stuff you coat the wraps.
    AgMD

If you check through the Rod Building Tips you will find several methods and tips. [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/rodbuilding/tips/archive.html:613ec]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/rodbuilding/tips/archive.html[/url:613ec]

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

I just bought some metallic ink permanent markers from walmart. They are roseart brand (crayolas competitor). 5 pens for 5 bucks, they are permanent and come in metallic blue, metallic green, metallic purple, silver and gold.

john

Cabela's sells some nice "fish" rod decals...have a pile of em..have yet to put any of them to use as yet..( Reminds me I need to fetch those and a few other odds and ends while in PA this weekend )..I have in the past used Junglecock to make a Lil crayfish, Looks quite kewl on a bamboo rod...

Don't know if it's the "right" pen..but I've used Prisma color pens with great results in black...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Just ordered some pens from Cabela's. I'll let you konw how they work.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

I use a gel pen from Cabelas. Colors look great but it takes a lot of care to get a smooth even flow of ink on a smooth blank. The thing I don't like about them is it takes at least two days for the ink to dry enough to over coat with epoxy. If anyone has a faster drying pen I would like to know about it... FB.

+ Reply to Thread