+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flies for the Key's

Hybrid View

Joe C Guest

Smile Flies for the Key's

Hi Folks

Been a long time since I have had anything to post about but here it is.
    We are going to spend a week in the Florida Key's in two weeks and I would be very grateful for any advice as to the flies I should tie for the trip.
    I will be wading and fishing out of a kayak, I am a novice, I have been fly fishing for about twelve years but not frequently enough to feel good about my abilities, this will be the first time fishing this year.
    This is our fortieth anniversary trip so if anyone knows of a restaurant that you would recommend in Key West or the vicinity that would be great, we will be staying in a campground about ten miles north of Key West .
    Thanks
    Joe

First, congrats on the 40th! A buddy is in the Keys right now and the guide he is fishing with said to use Gotcha flies. As far as restaurants go. sorry I can't help, have not been there in a long time.

You gotta go to Sloppy Joe's. Also, El Siboney (Cuban food) on Catherine St, but get there early as it does get crowded. For Mexican I would go to El Chico. Good food and reasonable prices. And don't forget to check out the sunset at Mallory's. Down by the marina are some good seafood places.

For flies I would check in with either the Angling Company http://anglingcompany.com/, or check in with the Saltwater Angler on Front St. They are an Orvis shop and you can find them on the Orvis website under fishing reports.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Joe C Guest

Quote Originally Posted by anglerdave View Post
    You gotta go to Sloppy Joe's. Also, El Siboney (Cuban food) on Catherine St, but get there early as it does get crowded. For Mexican I would go to El Chico. Good food and reasonable prices. And don't forget to check out the sunset at Mallory's. Down by the marina are some good seafood places.

For flies I would check in with either the Angling Company http://anglingcompany.com/, or check in with the Saltwater Angler on Front St. They are an Orvis shop and you can find them on the Orvis website under fishing reports.

Dave
    Thanks for the recommendations, my wife has put them in her list of places to go and I will check out the angling stores.
    Joe

A few more restaurants---not the cheapest though---7fish--Cafe Sole--Santiago Bodega---Blue Heaven---Louie's Backyard
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Joe C Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RHenn View Post
    First, congrats on the 40th! A buddy is in the Keys right now and the guide he is fishing with said to use Gotcha flies. As far as restaurants go. sorry I can't help, have not been there in a long time.
    Thanks on the fortieth, would you believe forty years ago I probably wouldn't have considered the possibility of living this long, I guess she's stuck with me now.
    I will tie some Gotcha flies and add them to my inventory, did your friend happen to mention any preference to color?
    Joe

+ Reply to Thread