I think Kengore is on target.

It is a way of expanding a hobby we all enjoy.

Many blanks carry a warranty just like commercial rods. Of course it is only on the blank and not components, but if you built it you can fix it with a replacement blank.

Do you tye flys? Why Bother? You can buy very good flies at all outfitters for less money than it will take to outfit yourself to tie a new fly. YOU DO IT BECAUSE IT'S FUN.

I think it's the same with rods. I have my expensive commercially built rods. And now I have my MUCH LESS expensive home made custom rods. They lood as good or better than the commercial rods, and they cast beautifully. AND I HAD FUN BUILDING THEM.

If your competent enough to tye flies that catch fish and don't fall apart, and if you do some research, before you buy components, ask for help when problems arise (usually few) and take things slowly, you'll end up with a very fine, choice fishing implement that you'll be proud of.

As far as resale. When I buy, or build a rod that is the last thing I think of. Fishing rods are just not investment items. But who knows, I have heard of stories where guys fishing with their custom rods were talked into selling them to someone they met who just loved it. Then I guess you can go home and build another.

JMHO

------------------
Be the heron!
Mike

[This message has been edited by mmarkey (edited 14 May 2005).]