+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Orlando, FL Opportunities??

Hybrid View

Default Orlando, FL Opportunities??

I know we have a number of FAOL members in Florida, but I don't recall where all are from.
    I will be in Orlando in mid-September with one day available to fish somewhere. I'm thinking freshwater at this point...I have a guided saltwater trip already scheduled for another day. I enjoy fly fishing for oddball species, and would consider targeting anything...from gar to bowfin, tilapia, snakeheads, sunshine/palmetto bass, red ears, etc.
    Any advice is appreciated, and if anyone wants to actually fish together, that would be very fun as well. It would be a weekday.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I'm pretty sure there are no fish around Orlando, seems the mice ate them. As many times as I have been there I was always working with rare exceptions. Although there was one boondockle with a guide from Bay Hill that was pretty sweet. My only fishing friend in the area would travel to the Atlantic coast on the weekend, although he always promised he could hook me up on some private lakes. There are several state parks and I think most rent kayak and/or canoes reasonably close by. http://www.floridastateparks.org/fin...teparksmap.cfm Orlando is the only airport where I had a problem with TSA and fishing rods, hopefully someone has explained a fishing rod is not really a security threat
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Dave, the only place right in Orlando unless you fish a lake or river is the lake at Disney world. There is a very nice fishing area for small stuff right in Sandord very close to where the auto train comes in (same area where the trayvon mess occurred. However if you are willing to drive a little Kissimee has great Bass fishing and you could also hit the Indian River and fish the Mosquito Lagoon. There is a state park (TaimiamiTrail) on the River (MAYBE THE INTERCOASTAL waterway) very near Daytona area which is beautiful and I believe has a public pier. At the moment I cannot recall the name of it but if you check a map it has an indian name. Sorry it has been a couple of years since we were there and I cannot remember things exactly.

Could that "Indian name" by any chance be Chokoloski?

Tomoka? That's close to Daytona. Lots of wading places in the Daytona area if you want to fish the Indian River Lagoon, Google maps is a great place to start. Most of the area lakes are not someplace you would want to wade, but one place to try would be the Econ river off Hwy 50, I think there are places to rent canoes and kayaks.

+ Reply to Thread