+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fished the Elk River in TN again today and had a great time....

Default Fished the Elk River in TN again today and had a great time....

Fished the Elk River today and had a great time fishing a Black Ghost streamer. The Browns seemed to really like it and I ended up catching and releasing 21 of them. All were the usual size from 9" to 12" and had one that went 14". I had the whole section to myself. Wonderful day...

Here are a few pictures with the first one being the largest fish:

Question for those who fish the Black Ghost streamer - What do you prefer to use for the wing? I have tried deer hair, marabou and a white hackle feather and have caught fish on all of them, but, they all seem to have the same problem at times and that is the wing material wrapping around the hook. Is there a better material or am I tying them wrong? I just now tied some using white ostrich for the wing and hoping, since it is a little stiffer, that it will not wrap as often. It is not a big problem, but, annoying.

Thanks
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Can't help you on the streamer, but nice photos and I'm glad you had a great time.

For the few I have tied I used feathers with no problems. Have you thought about securing the wing matuka style?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Jesse,

Never gave the Matuka style a thought. Thanks for suggesting it. I think I will tie some up with that style of wing and see what happens. Thanks
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren, one thing I have found effective in lessening the tendency for hackle to wrap around the hook bend is to make the tail out of something a little stiffer.Try using bucktail of long deer hair for the tail. This theoretically supports the wing and keeps it above the hook shank. It doesn't always work but it is a little better than hackle fibers. Shortening the wing or going to a larger hook size so it doesn't extend so far past also helps.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Warren,

Thought I'd share an idea I have about the issue of the material wrapping around the hook. I'm not sure what this is called but it works with some streamers I have used in the past. I use #20 amnesia but any #20 mono would work. I clip off a 3 inch piece . I start my thread on the streamer hook and get back to about the 3/4 point of the hook ..... tie in the mono on one side of hook all the way to the bend ....... fold mono and then tie in on other side of hook at the same place you did on previous side of hook ( you can let the mono hang over anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 inch) I wrap plenty of thread around both sides of hook and then apply super glue. You can then tie in tailing materials. I think some have referred to this as "building a dam" or a "shelf"; in essence you have a piece of mono that serves as a shelf for your tailing materials to rest upon. Works pretty good and doesn't tangle too bad.
    Last edited by gqualls; 08-24-2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added info

Seems like you had a successful day. Congrats

Nice catch Warren and enjoyed seeing the pictures.

I tie my Black Ghost using kiptail hair (calf tails) in place of the hackle for the tail and bottom wing and use bucktail for the top wing. I tie some with a black head and with a red head. At times I have found the red heads works the best. I took a couple of quick pics to show you how my tyes look with the kip/bucktail tied on a x2 long size 10 hook.

tying room 004.jpgtying room 002.jpg

Ronnie,

Thanks for the pictures of your Black Ghost. I like them. I may have to use kiptail for the beard and tail on mine. That is, if I have any that is yellow! Here is a picture of one of mine using yellow hackle for the tail and beard and marabou for the wing with a couple peacock herl mixed in to represent the lateral line. I always put eyes on my streamers and red, in my opinion, is a good color and I use it a lot in the eyes when I make my streamers.

If your weather does not allow you to fish, come to TN and I will take you to my river.

Warren

Warren, beautiful Black Ghost! I would bite it also if I were a trout I like the way you finish the head with the eyes and will add them to my next tyes too. Are you tying with white thread and using a black marker.

I hope to accept on your offer to fish with you one day soon, Thanks.

Ronnie

+ Reply to Thread