+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Each year i ask the same thing,anyone noticing the leaves changing!

Hybrid View

Default Each year i ask the same thing,anyone noticing the leaves changing!

As me and the family ride quite a bit we have noticed the leaves on poplars ,dogwoods and jap maples turning some.Here in NC we have had rain nearly every day and wondered if this has started to make em turn.

We've had a wet summer so far here in the Missouri Ozarks, we're about 10" above normal. I notice poison starting to turn in hedge rows and along fence lines. I don't notice trees starting to turn yet. Just this morning I heard acorns falling with some hitting the metal roof on my garage. Squirrels are running around the yard with acorns in their mouth.

I don't know what signals trees to start turning or what makes some years more colorful than others. Usually peak color around here is mid October.

Blog Entries

On the coast of WA some trees have started to change. It seems to be early this year
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

Just got back from an Alaskan cruise and they are changing up there. Here in the Sea-Tac area there is a little color showing, not much, but some. Like Eric, it seems to be a little early.
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

Leaf color change depends on the length of daylight. If cloudy for extended periods of time, that may very well have something to do with it. Dogwoods are one of the first to show any color.

George

My other half has family in southern Michigan. They already have Maples turning. I remember when we lived up there, the last year we were there, Maples started turning in August.

Many, many, years ago, we had an absolutely amazing Fall here in northeastern OK. Oak trees turned gold, and the few maples that were planted turned brilliant red. Sweetgum trees would turn gold, with some orange. Normally, we don't get much color here. Our summers are so hot and dry, most leaves will start to wither and dry, going from green to a dull yellowish-brown, then to brown. The year we had the amazing color, I asked some tree care folks about the colors, and they told me it was because we had such a wet summer that year.

All of you folks that had the really wet summer, I wouldn't be surprised if you get an amazing Fall color display this year.

+ Reply to Thread