+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boat bag question

Default Boat bag question

I've got an older gear bag that does not have the plastic 1 or 2" bottoms that the newer bags offer for placing in the bottoms of boats to eliminate water issues. Does anyone have a suggestion for a product I can buy and then shape to fit the bottom of my older bag to turn it into a "boat bag"?

I can put grommets the bottom of my existing bag and run a flat head bolt into or through the hard bottom to hold it on, or that's what I'm thinking at this point. Any suggestions would be much appreciated as most of the new bags are quite expensive.

Thanks for your help,

If you have a canvas shop or upholstery shop nearby you could see if they have vinyl or neoprene coated nylon or something similar to sew onto your bag. I've done this for my grandson's travel bag to keep it from wearing out. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Why not an very oversize 'zip-lock' type bags? I don't have one but I've seen oversize zip lock type bags for storing clothing and such that have some type of vacume seal so I imagine it would be water proof.

How about coating the bottom portion of the bag with a product called Plasti-dip? The product is designed to coat the bare handles of tools with a plastic coating. I have used it to coat jig heads and the stuff is bullet proof. I would paint it on the inside of the bag, up an inch or 2 on the sides.

Here is a link to the product...

http://www.eastwood.com/paints/plast...FUhgMgodY1IARQ

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

I bought a "dry bag" several years ago and after a few years it started leaking, it was round in shape so I took the bottom couple of inches from a 5 gallon bucket and put in the bottom which has worked well so far.

You could be the first member of the board to try the Neverwet product now being sold with the Rustoleum label on it. Just spray the exterior of your bag with Neverwet or the product on the infomercial Flex Seal.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Buy a plastic ice chest just large enough to do the job. Larry ---sagefisher---

A simple and cheap option is to just get a plastic storage container. Your local discount store probably has a wide variety of styles and sizes available for $5 or so. Put your whole bag in it or just use it in place of the bag. As a bonus you'll get a lid which will keep your stuff dry if it rains.

Great ideas from everyone, thank you for your responses. Now to see which one works the easiest for my application.

Regards

+ Reply to Thread