+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Selecting Guides

Default Selecting Guides

I have yet to build my first rod and am in the "research" phase. My interest at this point lies in building a 3 weight fly rod, ultimately the Sage TXL, after building a "first rod" to practice on. I read about oversizing the guides, guides made of titanium, chrome, cermet, ceramic, silicon carbide, snake vs. ring, single foot vs. two foot, etc. etc. How does someone with my lack of experience make an intelligent choice among all the variables? I'm not interested in saving money, so that isn't a concern. I enjoy quality and performance more.

Is there some way for someone like myself to compare these variables in an efficient manner BEFORE making a purchase and realizing right away that I should have used "xxxx" instead?

Or, is it going to boil down to it not really going to make that much difference to begin with?

Ralph,
    Since your wanting to do a build first,to get a "feel" for things,You'll notice alot of ppl talking of the Forecast blanks available from Hook & Hackle on this site.

They are above all a really good rod,as well as,a great value.For around 50-80 dollars you'll get all the componets needed to finnish out and complete the rod...you'll get the experience and a great rod to fish,I don't think you can go wrong with such a deal...Any changes you then may want to make on your Sage,you can then make,they also sell a host of other higher end building componets...you can call them directly and swtich out things in the kits as well,they will work with you and answer your questions.
    Single foot guides can be more difficult to the beginner as they don't have as much to hold onto when applying them to the rod,also you'll get twice the practice with snakes on your first rod....Just some thoughts.... [url=http://www.hookhack.com:91893]www.hookhack.com[/url:91893]

P.S. I forgot to mention that if you order online....There is a 20% discount too!!!!....
    ------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 09 July 2005).]

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 09 July 2005).]

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 10 July 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

What a site!! I've been thinking of building a 9' 3 wgt. I'm exactly at the same point as Ralph, research!
    I've also checked on Hook & Hackle's on line store.
    I think I'll go back there and order a kit.
    Thanks Bill.

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

Have two here at the moment myself..that I'll get started on as soon as I finnish tying for a swap I'm in ....Ones Gonna be for my step son...in another year or so....He's just not ready as yet...only 6....but soon...

And I can see no downside to ordering a Forecast kit,They are good blanks/rods,and especially for a starter project,you get alot.....in rod and experience....win win sit.....
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread