+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slow server problem

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Slow server problem

In the last couple days the FAOL website has been under attack from nefarious third parties.

They do this to gain access to the server to put up phony pages, send email, or spam our members.

The result is they drive the system load up 100 times normal, and things get painfully slow as they attempt to break in.

I don't think I need to tell you what I think of these tactics.

To help combat these threats I have put in some custom controls, and for the long term will be looking at taking the system down for a day sometime in the next couple weeks.
    I will at that time reformat the system, with a newer distribution (ours was getting too old anyway), and reload with updated anti "@!(#*$" tools. (fill in the cursing with your favorite.. it fits)

Neil and Dee will be giving me a window to do annual system maintenance soon.
    Thank you for your patience.

Side note: I've banned several sources in the last 20 min. And it's automated to block them as they come in now.

Blog Entries

Perhaps that is why I have received a "load" of emails from loser type sources?

That must be why that after bragging on the new menu page on the homepage it went away and now I have to do a search for flyanglersonline on google and then open the BB from there. I will continue to do this and trust me, there is no complaining from me. I do not envy you with the work you have to do to keep this great site up and running.

Take your time and give the "trash" the boot.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Thanks for letting us know. This is such a fantastic site and it is a shame a bunch of idiots with nothing better to do would put people like you to extra work so they can be cute. Thanks for everything yall do and take your time. Greatest ff site ever. mathcarver

I echo the THANKS! I do the site for my TU chapter and it is a pain some time to ward off the crap. Thanks for all the time and effort.
    Mike

Blog Entries

what browser are you using Warren? I updated the main page again, and tested in the browsers I have, but if it isn't showing up for you, I need to look again.

rtidd,

I am using Internet Explorer. I have the FAOL homepage bookmarked in my "favorites" and when I click on it, it brings up the homepage with everything there except the left hand side where the new menu was. The left side is blank and top left has the "sponsor" logo and under that there is a black rectangle with the word "search" in it.

I can go to "Google" and do a search for flyanglersonline.com and then click on bb flyanglersonline.com and that will get me here on the bb. I am going to try opening flyanglersonline.com from the search and see what happens when I try to log on to see if that changes things.

When I do a search for flyanglersonline.com in Google and then click on flyanglersonline.com, it brings up the homepage with the left side still blank.
    Last edited by WarrenP; 08-18-2013 at 01:42 AM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Ron;

I am using Mozilla, and it was acting like John and Warren said yesterday. But fine now. I have homepage complete.

Thanks so much for your efforts to keep this a great site

Mark

Blog Entries

I reverted the page to use the old code. It should work now.

rtidd,

This morning it is back to the beautiful homepage with the new menu! Thank you so much for all your hard work. Everything is working perfectly and fast plus the new menu is back!

Thank you very much.....
    Warren

+ Reply to Thread