+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Tick" in my rod

Default "Tick" in my rod

When I shake my 3 pc rod I detect a tick like something is loose. I experienced this before on a rod just before the tip top came unglued.
    I have checked all the guides and tip tip, all seem tight. The grip and reel seat seem tight. I assembled all the pieces seperately (tip to mid section and mid section to butt) shook um...nothing. But when the rod is fully assembled there it is.
    I don't notice anything when casting the rod but unlined I can feel it.

Clues?

Bamboo or graphite?
    If bamboo, mostlikely a loose ferrule and needs to fixed ASAP or damage will be done.
    Not sure about a graphite rod though.
    Pete

The most likely culprit is a ferrule (even on a graphite rod). With all the pieces together there will be enough momentum to force a hinge on the part that is not perfectly joined. As JC recommends, put some paraffin on the joints and see what happens. If you feel the problem with no reel, perhaps it is the click of the locking ring. If you feel it with the reel perhaps the click is between the reel seat and the handle, where the reel seat meets the reel, or is the spool clicking on the shaft. Try with a different reel in that case, to see what happens. Good luck.
    Greg

+ Reply to Thread