+ Reply to Thread

Thread: whaddaya do with your wet flies?

Hybrid View

Default whaddaya do with your wet flies?

I have a "fly trap", which is a dandy little gadget with a flip-down lid to hold your flies to dry them, and I think Simms makes a similar, but expensive kind of a pin-on fly box. Are there any other gadgets out there to hold your flies after you have used them? I don't like the wool patches because they are too good at holding the flies, and the pin-on styrofoam patches aren't good enough.

This works for me, I used to lose more flies off my vest than to trees. I keep a cheap,small plastic fly box in the top pocket of my fishing SHIRT, along with an empty film canister for collecting mono tippet and spinning. I drilled a number of holes in each compartment of the box. When I'm done fishing and have placed my vest and gear in the back of the truck, I'll remember the used flies in my shirt pocket. I'll either open it on the dash on the drive back or lay the box over my heater. I have lost so many barbless flies with all the other gadgets, or lost the box in the deep inner recesses of my vest when placed in there.

That's a great idea - will try it.

Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Just for pure convenience, low cost and it works. I took some heavier craft foam, about 5 mm, and made a fly patch which I attached to the back of my hat with some heavy thread at the corners, I may have added some light leather underneath for durability. It works well and I have never forgotten to take my hat unlike most other things I use fishing. I have a similar one on my "winter" hat.
    Hat fly patch 1.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I like my magnetic fly patch. Leave them on there for awhile, then put them back in the boxes before the next trip.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
    My Fishpond Vest has a built in dryer. When I am not wearing my vest I use a Finsport, which I ordered from BRF.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    I have a "fly trap", which is a dandy little gadget with a flip-down lid to hold your flies to dry them, and I think Simms makes a similar, but expensive kind of a pin-on fly box. Are there any other gadgets out there to hold your flies after you have used them? I don't like the wool patches because they are too good at holding the flies, and the pin-on styrofoam patches aren't good enough.
    Hmm. They have worked well for me for over 12 yrs using one patch. Granted herefishy, I fish barbless and don't usually go larger than #16 flies but I've not had any trouble.

The most used parts of my grey, foam patch have lots of holes so I cut some (5-6) .2" wide x approx. 3" long x .09" thk. tough foam strips from the .09" thk. sheets you get from your fly shop and super-glued them on top of the patch where the hooks stck and I'm good to go for another decade or more.

Now wait, just my luck the safety pin in back'll bust....)

Jeremy.

Dry them before putting them away. Otherwise they will rust.
    Okay, not the answer you were looking for - but true nonetheless.

Allan

+ Reply to Thread