+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: whaddaya do with your wet flies?

Jesse;
    That is the best "Thread Hi Jack!!" ever!!

I have the Fly Trap, but found it kind of heavy so only use it on my canoe bag. I did have to replace the foam so far. On my two chest packs I now use a C&F flypatch. Flies go into the slots butt first, so even barless hooks hold firm.
    I also have a Streamworks which has a clip to put on your shirt (no holes) or a 'dog collar' clip. It is OK too.
    And you can always take an old film container or pill tube, drill holes in is (and one in the top) and run an old piece of line though all so they don't get lost and pin it to your shirt or vest.
    I agree that the dashboard of the car is a good place to dry out all flies on the ride home (keep them in the fly patch not loose!).

A ditto on the magnetic patch. If you are worried about a pacemaker, just attach it someplace out of the way -- like on your hat. I've never lost a fly from it.

Pacemaker on you HAT ? I think I want mine attached somewhere I can't leave it in the Diner . . .

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    I have a "fly trap", which is a dandy little gadget with a flip-down lid to hold your flies to dry them, and I think Simms makes a similar, but expensive kind of a pin-on fly box. Are there any other gadgets out there to hold your flies after you have used them? I don't like the wool patches because they are too good at holding the flies, and the pin-on styrofoam patches aren't good enough.
    Hmm. They have worked well for me for over 12 yrs using one patch. Granted herefishy, I fish barbless and don't usually go larger than #16 flies but I've not had any trouble.

The most used parts of my grey, foam patch have lots of holes so I cut some (5-6) .2" wide x approx. 3" long x .09" thk. tough foam strips from the .09" thk. sheets you get from your fly shop and super-glued them on top of the patch where the hooks stck and I'm good to go for another decade or more.

Now wait, just my luck the safety pin in back'll bust....)

Jeremy.

Dry them before putting them away. Otherwise they will rust.
    Okay, not the answer you were looking for - but true nonetheless.

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotuber View Post
    Me too Jack. It's a little heavy for a shirt, but it's great attached to a pack. Holds a crap load of flies & super easy access.
    Mike
    I have used that for several years and love it. It seemed heavy in hand but once mounted on my vest I can't feel it. The only problem is that occasionally the magnet will grab nippers, hemostats and other metal gadgets left on th evest. No biggie, just pull them away.

Daves Hughes recommended this book about wet fly fishing so I just ordered it:
    http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Hackled-F...ylvester+nemes
    Randy

Blog Entries

Randy, Great book. You will enjoy it. Larry ---sagefisher---

+ Reply to Thread