Weekly Fraser Valley Sport fishing column for August 12 to 19, 2013

"It was very game, with a fight which reminded me of a coho as it streaked along just beneath the surface, twisting and jumping. I slid it up on the grass? "It's a Pink, Frank. Look how beautiful it is... Here, you fish? They may go on the grab. The tide is right."

Frank took the rod, cast, and instantly had a fish on, while I enjoyed taking pictures. "This is my first salmon!" he yelled sternly. "My first salmon! Do you understand?"

The above passage was taken from, The Anglers Coast, by Russell Chatham.

Pink Salmon; of all the fish we have to pursue on the coast of British Columbia this fish, is one of the most popular. For many it was or will be the first salmon they catch.

Every two years these fish flood our saltwater beaches and freshwater streams, drawing behind them an army of enthusiastic anglers. For many a pink was or will be the first salmon they catch. Do try to keep it sporting please.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is fair. Early mornings and evening through dusk are best; focusing on the cooler water is the south west sectors of your favorite lake. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Nations Black, Zulu, Wooly Bugger, Wooly Worm, Pumpkin Head, Micro Leach, Doc Spratley, Halfback, Sixpack, or Baggy Shrimp. For dry (floating) fly action try: Lady McConnel, Tom Thumb, Irresistible, Double Hackled Peacock, Royal Coachman, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, or Elk Hair Caddis.

Our lower Mainland bass and panfish waters are fishing well; morning and evenings are best. For Bass try: Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Pumpkinhead, Gomphus Bug, Dragon Nymph, Crayfish, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Lefty's Deceiver, Dolly Whacker, Bucktail, Hair Frog, Poppers, (adult) Dragonfly, Chernobyl Ant, Optic, or Stimulator. For Panfish try smaller (size 10 to 16) versions of the above.

Fishing on our interior lakes is fair. As stated above early mornings and evenings are your ticket to success. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid, Halfback Nymph, Baggy Shrimp, Pumpkin Head, Wooly Bugger, Big Black, Dragon Nymph, Sixpack, 52 Buick, or Doc Spratley. For dry fly fishing try: Lady McConnel, Tom Thumb, Adams, Irresistible, Renegade, Black Gnat, or Elk Hair Caddis.

The Vedder River is good for spring, and rainbow. For spring try: Popsicle, Squamish Poacher, black GP, Flat Black, Big Black, or Kaufmann Stone. For rainbow try: Czech nymph, Kaufmann Stone, Hares Ear, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Zulu, Souboo, Irresistible, Black Gnat, or Renegade. Please release the sockeye.

The Harrison River is fair to good for cutthroat. Try: Professor, Anderson Stone, American Coachman, Rolled Muddler, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, Zulu, Hares Ear, Renegade, or Irresistible.

The Thompson River is good for rainbow. Try: Kaufmann Stone, Big Black, Cased Caddis, Foam Hopper, Elk Hair Caddis, Tom Thumb, Stimulator, Chernobyl Ant, or Irresistible.

The Fraser River is fair to good for spring.