+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wading shoes

Hybrid View

Question wading shoes

For all of you wet waders out there, what kind of wading shoes do you reccommend? I've been looking for a pair but can't decide what to get. I don't really like the looks of some of the sandals I've seen. I'm thinking something more like a hiking boot. Also, any particular kind of socks?
    Thanks in advance,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

I just wear my wading boots with neoprene booties and baseball socks; doesn't look too fashionable but it works fine.

Regards,
    Scott

Pretty much the same as Scott. I use my regular wading boots. I used to use neoprene booties cut from an old pair of waders, but this year I bought neoprene wading booties that fit a little tighter and have a gravel cuff. And, regular socks under the booties, so I can get the booties on and off. I have a buddy who just bought a second pair of wading boots in size smaller and wears them over regular socks.

Depending on where you fish, I would recommend long pants and tucking your pants legs in. We have a lot nettles, wild parsnip, and the occasional stray barbed wire around here that can be bad on bare skin. I've also gotten bitten on the shins by leeches which makes for a pretty bloody mess. Long pants and tucking the pants legs in take care of those problems for the most part.

Cabela's has neoprene felt soled flats boots that might work. They zip up and used to be $35.

tl
    les

Quote Originally Posted by lestrout View Post
    Cabela's has neoprene felt soled flats boots that might work. They zip up and used to be $35.

tl
    les
    Those are great for flats, but if I wore them onstream, I'd be flat on my back (or face)

Regards,
    Scott

I'm with the others here, wearing my regular wading shoes with a pair of neoprene booties. I think I've relayed this before on this board, but a short trip wet wading with my son years ago changed my outlook forever on wearing sandals for wading. He had boots on thankfully, but when we got out of the water, he had a huge baitfishing hook buried in the side of his boots. It occurred to me then that sandals or something else with thin mesh and/or openings around the perimeter of the shoe might not be the best choice for wandering around a streambottom littered with hooks from various sources.

+ Reply to Thread