Thread: Question for those w/ Orvis Guide Sling Pack

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by John_N View Post
    I think the sling function is in fact the challenge. A solution like John proposes probably doesn't hold up due to the fact that the pack is moved diagonally over your shoulder from your back to your front and vice versa. If the net sits near the top when it's on your back, it will kind of flip over your shoulder and be on the bottom when the pack is brought around front, and I'm fine with that as I picture it, even if it might get a little awkward. I'm assuming that hasn't been plausible for some reason though, given the number of reviews that cite challenges finding out a way to attach a net. This one does look pretty cavernous, capable of a light rain jacket and other things.
    john, i may be seeing what you wrote incorrectly, but i will explain how i use my guide pack. i wear it over my right shoulder. there is a d-ring directly above the integrated tippet holder that would place the net at your right shoulder when it was in the "slung" position. when i need to access my pack, i don't pull it up over my shoulder, it slides down around my back under my left armpit basically and the front of the pack ends up a little above my waist for easy access. then to re-sling it is obviously just the reverse of that in that it goes back under my left arm and up to, but never over my right shoulder. i have never pulled the pack up over my shoulder. once you buy and wear it, it becomes pretty intuitive as to how to sling and un-sling it. i don't use a net, but you should have no problems using one with this pack. and to address trigg's post about the volume of the guide version. i've had both the original version and the guide version. the capacity of the guide version is at least double the original version if not more. i can (and have) easily carried three larger fly boxes, a packable rain jacket, a small lunch and a backup reel with room to spare. and there is an integrated water bottle holder on the outside of the pack that holds a fairly good-sized bottle. here's a link to a video from the orvis website with a brief sling demonstration: http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=7H9X.
    Last edited by dpenrod; 08-16-2013 at 12:35 PM.