+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2wt line on a 3wt rod?

Hybrid View

Default 2wt line on a 3wt rod?

Hi all.

I have a 2wt rod rigged with 2WF line. The rod is 6 1/2 ft long. I like the light rod, but the short length presents challenges on wider streams. For bigger water, I recently bought an 8 1/2 ft 3wt rod, but no reel. If I use the reel rigged with the 2WF line on the 3wt rod, what considerations am I going to have to take into account?

I think if I loaded a light rod with heavier line, the rod would nominally become more sluggish. But I don't really understand what would happen if I go the other way (lighter line on a heavier rod).

Thanks for any hints you have.

Take it out to the yard and give it a try. It probably will be a little harder to get the rod to load and work for you. You might notice that more with a shorter line. There aren't many guys who like to underline rods, but it really depends on the rod and your casting style. Give it a try.

Casting with 30 ft of 2wt line outside the rod tip will be roughly about the same load as having 25 ft of 3wt line out.

The 3 wt rod lined with a 2wt line will likely feel under loaded at close range and you may feel like you need to work harder. You may not notice the difference as much as you get more line out.

I think there's a chance you would like it just fine, and agree with the advice to take it out and give it a try. Underlining will generally make a rod feel a little "faster", where overlining it will make the rod feel a little "slower". My 3 weight happens to be the slowest rod I own, almost too much so, even at short distances. Although I've never tried it, I've often thought a 2 wt. line might actually feel better on that particular rod, but that may or may not be the case with yours.

Thanks all for the input. The rod is a TFO Pro II. I really haven't polished my skill to be able to distinguish between fast/medium/slow action rods. I would consider myself a fly fisherman who is transitioning from beginner to intermediate level in terms of skill. The idea about the back yard is a good one..I have done that before and demonstrated to the neighbors that I'm certifable. I'm also the only one around here who will stand in a river when it's 18 degrees and claim I'm having a great time!

I'll try the reel out and see how it feels. I may put my 4wt reel on it as well. Then I'll make the decision whether or not to head back and pick up a reel and line set up specifically for it.

Ray-

Unless you want to, don't go out and buy a whole new reel if you decide you need a 3 wt. line. Just buy an extra spool for either that 2 wt. or 4 wt reel that you have already, load it with backing and the new line, and swap it out for the existing spool when you're planning on fishing the 3 wt. rod. I do that a lot, as do many I'm sure. I have more rods than I do reels, the reason being that reels are typically rated for a range of line weights and it can be easy and much more cost effective to just utilize extra spools for multiple rods in the same range.

John,

That's a good idea. I've seen extra spools in the catalogs. It's a Loomis reel, so maybe the chances of finding one are good.

+ Reply to Thread