+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our new digs

Default Our new digs

Wife put an add in one of the fiberglass rv forums and darned if we didn't get a call the next day from a couple in Polson (about 60 miles down the road) with the exact model we were looking for. Now all we have to do is find a truck - anyone got a 1/2 ton 4x4 they're looking to sell?

Regards,
    Scott

Nice looking rig Scott, that should be fun. As for the pickup, does anyone make what is considered a half ton anymore?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Uncle Jesse,

Thanks. They still call the F150, GM/Chevy/Dodge 1500s, Tundras and Titans 1/2 tons even though payload and tow rating are a lot more than that; I imagine when they first came out, the payload was closer to 1000 lbs. Same thing with the 3/4 and 1 ton pickups.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 08-09-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Scott,

I know I'm a old fossil but a F-100 and the F-1 before that were 1/2 ton pickups. I'm always a little amazed how many F-150 and their like are out there and how few every actually haul anything. The mileage rankings on the new trucks is getting better.

It's like all the sport-utes with brush guards I used to see in the drop off line at school; usually driven by well-groomed women who I doubt had any intention of letting their vehicle anywhere near what they were designed for.

Regards,
    Scott

OMG, get mud on my baby!! I spent a lot of my life on or around farms and worked by way through college doing road construction in south Louisiana. I am used to beds full of not so nice stuff.

How big is your new abode? It appears around 20 ft. of so. That FRP shell should be low maintenance.

17'. Definitely not a full-timer, but we can do 1 month trips without feeling squeezed.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    That FRP shell should be low maintenance.
    Definitely one of the big selling points to us; just a good waxing every now and then and a cover when we store it.

Regards,
    Scott

Congrats! You are gonna love i and the places it takes you to!

I found that the most important part of trailer life concerns electricity. Have enough battery power. or whatever power source you use, to get you through all of your trips. Replace all bulbs with the most efficient ones you can buy.

You are about to have a lot of comfort and fun while seeing some spectacular sites. Enjoy!

Very nice Scott. We love ours and are camping in it right now for 5 weeks here in Montana, loving it. We've had ours since 2010, Outback 5th Wheel pulled by our Ford 250 Super Duty. It's a great set up that we and our dog can live in for months at a time. Enjoy the new digs!
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/

That looks nice, Scott. I've been toying with the idea of buying something like that myself, for 2-3 day fishing side trips that are just a bit longer than what we can do in a day from here, south of Livingston. (Like a 3 hour one way drive to Hebgen Lake, for example.). I don't know about staying in one that size with my wife for a month though!

I'm sure a 1/2 ton would pull it just fine, but personally I think I'd feel safer towing it with something like an F250 if I were going to be in the mountains much, for the extra braking capabilities, and I'd want a long wheel based truck, but that's just me. (I have a 4x4 F150 and a 4x4 F350 dually now)

+ Reply to Thread