Scott: I've been towing a camper of one kind or another for a lot of years and so I've sort of been to the "River Jordan" tow vehicle and hitching wise. And my favorite tow vehicle (in fact, all around vehicle) has been a pick'em up truck. I just don't feel or set right or know how to act, in a regular run of the mill car!

Below is a pic of my half ton GMC, short bed, V-8, automatic, two wheel drive - hitched to a previous owned popup camper that had a GVWR of 2,200 lbs (and was always pretty much close to - had it weighed one time and with all the gear came in at 2,127 lbs. (the tire load capacity was also 2,200 lbs). Anyway, it was an easy tow - in fact, considering the truck's tow rating of 6,400 lbs, could have towed two of them! Should also say this little camper did not have brakes and was no issue with this "husky" tow vehicle - however - the weight was right at the cutting edge. Personally, with a 3,000 lb trailer I would want the trailer brakes. Also, to remember, there are two types of trailer brakes ... the electric that requires an electrical control mounted inside the truck, and the other is hydraulic (or better know as surge) brakes. Both have their advantages and dis-advantages. As for 4-wheel drive, where I live and mostly go there is no need for it. I've found 2-wheel drive does the job just fine, plus costs a little less to get into AND is a little better on gas mileage. That's a decision you'll just have to make for your circumstances.

Another issue is the hitch. Obviously, with my half ton GMC, it sported the class III hitch (a weight bearing hitch and rated to 5,000 lbs.). Now, that does NOT mean I could hook up to 5,000 lbs ... you have to read the fine print. GM says with my particular truck the weight bearing class III is only good for 4,000 lbs. - beyond that it requires a weight distribution hitch. With my truck I would not hesitate to hook up to a 3,200 lbs Casita with the class III hitch but I sure would want a sway control bar just in case a strong cross wind got hold of the trailer. And, maybe, rear extra shock/spring support to handle the tongue weight, so that the trailer and tow vehicle are level.