+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steve Pennington cane rods

Default Steve Pennington cane rods

As I have finally sold my five weights and have my last rod a Loomis east fork on the sale site I have added a little money to look at a cane rod and saw and read some on these Steve Pennington cane rods at the 500.00 price range.I also saw some on eBay at 299.95 made in one of the northern states.Anyone have one , remarks on cane rods and upkeep,problems or anything else.

Blog Entries

Thomas,

Steve Pennington is a master bamboo fly rod builder. He buys his own Tonkin cane in bundles. He has been making bamboo fly rods for well over a quarter of a century. He lives in Ankeny, Iowa. I personally own one of his rods. Many of my friends have ordered rods from him after casting my rod. You can't go wrong with a Steve Pennington split bamboo fly rod. I will PM you his email and phone number. By the way, he and his wife, Diane, will be at the FFF Fly Fishing Fair this late September in West Yellowstone. I plan on buying another one of his rods to give as a gift.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I have seen his rods and they are finished very well. I have never cast one though. Usually he has better deals at the shows he attends. Like around $350.00

Blog Entries

look for a firm called Coldwater Collectibles online. Pennington rods are available there. yesterday I counted 4 on sale and 4 marked sold--gives you some idea of their popularity.

i also own one, bought from the master himself in 2007. he was at the (then) FFF gathering in Bozeman and paying for the trip with the rods. i had no business buying one, being the most basic of beginners, but he urged me into the parking lot, put it into my hand, and the rest was quite predictable--it just suited my casting style down to the ground. now that I know more, i know what I have, especially because more than one bamboo rod lover/maker has expressed great admiration for it.

put it this way: if a good graphite rod is a wonderful tool, a Pennington rod is a violin. JMHO...
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Bamboo rods are not fine china. They are built to use, There is a lot of sweat a builder puts into the construction of a bamboo rod. I have not cast one of Steve's but I will say if he sells them for that price he is not making minimum wage.

I know Steve Pennington and have and fish one of his 7' 4wt 2 tip bamboo rods. I am not a bamboo rod expert by any stretch of the imagination. But, I don't think you'll find a better rod for the money. As already been mentioned, Coldwater Collectables does sell some of Steve's rods, but Steve sells alot of rods at various shows that he attends. Besides the 7' 4wt he also builds a 7 1/2' 5wt and an 8' 5wt. And maybe even a 6 1/2' 4wt. You've got the information on how to get in contact with him, Your best bet is to either send him an email or give him a call.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

As others have said, Steve Pennington makes a nice fishable rod that he sells at a bargain price. I bought my 4wt from him at the Great Waters Expo a few years ago and love fishing it. I own other bamboo rods that have nicer hardware etc., but Steve's rods fish as nice as any and better than some. darned nice fellow as well!

Blog Entries

if he sells them for that price he is not making minimum wage--birddog
    Steve Pennington is a forester from Des Moines, Iowa with over 20 years of rod building experience. Although Steve “officially” retired from rod building in 2008, he still makes rods as time allows. The Pine River series was specifically designed to afford the flycaster an opportunity to enjoy the beauty and unique qualities that split bamboo rods offer.....at an affordable price.--Coldwater Collectibles
    Steve Pennington is not trying to make a living building bamboo fly rods. he is trying to introduce as many people as possible to them by making rods that cast beautifully. though very well made with a first-class finish, they won't win a concours d'elegance. they will help you understand the appeal.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

+ Reply to Thread