+ Reply to Thread

Thread: to Fluro or not to Fluro

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default to Fluro or not to Fluro

I dont use flurocarbon myself because I change leaders quite frequently.

But, I believe that the current crop of that tippet material no longer "pulls a dry fly down" as was the early rap on fluro.

Any users have insight?....Based on personal experience.....
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 08-06-2013 at 12:27 AM.

I like it and use it for both nymph and dry fly tippet. Sometimes the higher density is touted as an advantage for nymph fishing and as a disadvantage for dry fly fishing, but I don't think that's a really significant factor. However, it is more abrasion resistant, degrades less and is less visible under water all of which are important in nymph fishing. I don't think it makes as much difference for dry fly fishing, but I use it for dry flies too just to keep things simple. I use regular mono for the rest of my leader, but fluoro for the tippet.

Only use Fluor tippet has no effect on pulling down dry flys, catches more fish than mono. Was taught a lesson on Fluor few years back . Was fishing with a buddy one day in a boat .i was using mono we were fishing same nymph under a indicator he out fished 10 to 1 after a half day . He finally gave a spool of Fluor . I started catching as many as he did. Only difference was Fluor . Since that day I have used nothing but Fluor. When Fluor 1st . It the market I refused to pay extra for Fluor and he new it . Just a lesson on being closed mind about new intimations.

I almost never use fluorocarbon for one reason: it doesn't degrade. Your clipped ends of mono will UV-degrade in a short period of time. Flies will degrade due to rust, UV, or biological processes. Fluoro will stick around until doomsday (almost).

Blog Entries

Great point Walter.

I use flouro tippet exclusively for trout both wet and dry. I use a 5' Furled thread leader, changing only the tippet to match flies and conditions. I vary from 3-6ft of 5x-7x tippet for most of my fishing. I have seen flouro outfish mono on many a day....but never have seen it the opposite. The only thing I use mono for is warmwater, and I use a tapered mono leader as well.

Fluorocarbon tipper has many great qualities. I quit using it last year after having too many carp & grass carp break the tippet. Must be brittle or very low shock absorption.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I don't bother with much with flouro any longer. The visibility issue is overstated. There is an interesting mathematical analysis here http://www.bigindianabass.com/files/fluoro_present.ppt and a great discussion including modeling here http://www.danblanton.com/viewarchiv...arch201203.php.

Here is a video that shows supposedly invisible flouro in action. That little pulse of light that travels down the flouro tippet is kind of cool.

http://vimeo.com/39597433

I can see both mono and flouro in the water and so can the fish

I never had an issue with flouro sinking dry flies with light tippets. I had more of an issue with flouro tippet being less supple than mono leading to drag issues.

Abrasion resistance is more a factor of the formulation of the line and diameter rather than it being nylon or flouro. Nylon can be harder or softer than flouro. In the past, for nylon and flouro of equal breaking strength, the flouro would be thicker , which would provide greater abrasion resistance. fFlouro has improved in that respect over the last few years.

The June edition of California Fly Fisher has an excellent article by Ralph Cutter on nylon and flouro monofilament where he points out real world observations and experience with both types and shows that many of the claims about flouro compared to nylon do not hold up. . The article also includes comments from some very good trout anglers, some of whom prefer nylon and some prefer flouro.

In my own experience fishing for trout, bass, panfish, stripers in CA, and saltwater, whether fishing with a guide or on my own, I have never experienced any advantage of flouro over nylon. Any differences when they occurred were explained by other parameters.

Yet I have heard many stories where anglers experienced improved success when switching from one to the other

I started by saying I don't bother much with flouro. Which is not the same saying I never use it. I still carry some and occasionally tie some on to see if it might make a difference when things are not going well. Just in case

Quote Originally Posted by Longs for Cutts View Post
    I almost never use fluorocarbon for one reason: it doesn't degrade. Your clipped ends of mono will UV-degrade in a short period of time. Flies will degrade due to rust, UV, or biological processes. Fluoro will stick around until doomsday (almost).
    That pretty much sums it up for me. About the only time I use fluro anymore is when I go on my annual salt fishing trip to the Florida Gulf Coast. I also use it from time to time when fishing streamers for smallmouth, but when it is used up I will not replace it.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

+ Reply to Thread