+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Confused on guide sizes?

Default Confused on guide sizes?

I'm looking at a Sage 480-4SLT Rod blank at americanfly.com. Since I cant afford a built one I thought I'd take my time and build one instead. Now according to Sages web site these are the guides I need:2/0t 2/0t 2/0t 1/0t 1/0t 1t 2 3 10t At the appropriate lengths. Now I looked at the americanfly sites guides this is what they list to use for a 4 - 6 Wt./ 1-No. 8, 10, Up to 10 Snakes, 2 Tips. Ok now what I dont understand is there a problem with those guides in that will that set work? They are not listed the same as Sage. I also looked at hook&hackle and the guides there are not listed like sage specified either. Is there a cross referance or something from Sage to the rest of the guide makers out there? Thank you!

Tim, after looking at americanfly's ordering information, I agree that it is not very clear what guides you will get. Are they giving you an 8 and a 10 stripper guide? 10 snake guides (what sizes?)? Two tips?

I guess you could call them.

The brand they are selling are Snake brand, which you could use. I believe that Sage uses Hopkins & Holloway Guides. You can do a search for them and see what you find if you wanted to have the same as Sage.

------------------
    Joe

I'll take a look into Hopkins & Holloway Guides. I was just confused due to HH not having them either. Thank you!

Or better yet can someone suggest a set of guides that would work well for a Sage 480-4SLT? Thank you!

Ok I found guides that would work at [url=http://www.mrfc.com,:7cac8]www.mrfc.com,[/url:7cac8] However what kind of guides should I get with this rod? I'm planning on single foot guides but should I get them with any kind of special coating? Like the SIC lined ones. I noticed at there site they only had the SIC striper and not guides is it necessary for all the guides to have the SIC liner? Or are the regular crome or Titanium Nitrate coated ok? Thank you guys!

[This message has been edited by Tim S (edited 16 June 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Tim S (edited 16 June 2005).]

I have never seen silicon carbide lined guides, other than the stripper, used on a fly rod. Titanium carbide coated hard wire guides are good.

------------------
    Joe

Thats the name TiC titanium carbide not nitrate. Thank you, I'll give those a shot!

[This message has been edited by Tim S (edited 17 June 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread