+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Your Suggestions & Opinions Welcome

Default Your Suggestions & Opinions Welcome

I've decided I want to get into rod building and ultimately build a Sage TXL 3 weight. Before I do, I would like to get a rather inexpensive rod to make the majority of mistakes on and learn from and, therefore, really am looking for relatively modestly priced components. I'm thinking of giving this first practice rod to my grand-daughter when she turns 5 to get her into fly fishing with "grampy".

With this in mind, can anyone recommend blanks and components reasonably priced that will accomplish my desires? I'm NOT looking for "cheap" on this first rod, just good components at a fair price that will serve as a learning tgool for me and eventually my grand-daughter.

Thanks!

I used to suggest Dan Craft, but haven't heard much from him or of him of late. Just went to the sponsor list and no longer see him listed. Any idea what happened? Anyone? Dan was really a great help for me when I started, by phone, e-mail, whatever. JGW

[This message has been edited by white43 (edited 11 June 2005).]

I have dealt with both Hook & Hackle and Dan Craft. Very satisified with both. Either would be a good way to get everything you need.

Dan Craft is no longer a sponsor but he is still in business and very helpful in selecting rod building components. Bob at Hook & Hackle is also very helpful.

------------------
    Joe

Bob at H&H is very help[ful, so is Neal at neal's fishing tackle.

Rod building can be very addictive so watch out! H&H has very good deals on batson blanks and build kits(they have some smaller rods good for the wee folk as well). I built a standard kit for my first build, but upgraded the reel seat and cork - I figure these are the "user interface" points and wanted the best I could afford.

Let us know what you choose and how it goes!

Charlie

I ordered my blank from JJ King before I ever knew about this board. No regrets. Good guy to deal with.

Jim

Blog Entries

I'd suggest Hook and Hackle. My personal recommendation would be a forecast blank. Considering its you first test rod and maybe going to your grand-daughter. I 'd look at something like a 7'6 4 wt. Nice casting blank , well priced, and works well as a teaching rod on average size streams.....Good Luck and happy building.
    PS....dont hesitate to ask questions as you start your project.

[This message has been edited by Smernsky (edited 12 June 2005).]

Careful on the Forecast, Ralph. You might like it well enough that you'll sneer at a sage! Well, maybe. That said, there are some very fine "off brand" blanks out there that cast quite well. I'm pleasantly surprised considering I came into rod building with the exact strategy Ralph is laying out for us. Dan Craft set me up with one of his Five Rivers rods and I'm quite pleased with it. I've still to build the one I got from Bob at Hook and Hackle. Probably be a winter thing. JGW

8. Default

For the least amt. of $ a Forecast blank fishes very well and looks good with the right threads. I also built on a Amtak green blank with the braided graphite butt pattern (model name escapes me but hook&hackle has them in the $30 - 40 range). Spent total about $45 or so on the Forecast and about $60 on the Amtak. Both
    7 1/2' 4 wt. They both fish very well and look good. The Forecast got blue single foot pacbay guides to match the blank color and these were more $ than chrome guides).
    I used winston guide spacing chart for the Amtak and honest to goodnes this rod feels and fishes 90% as good as a comparable Winston.
    You can't go wrong with either and you may forget about the Sage (depending on how and where you like to fish).
    Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I appreciate them all!

+ Reply to Thread