+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fred Bridge

Default Fred Bridge

I regret to inform the board that Fred Bridge, AKA Fred of York, passed on today.

I was blessed in getting to know Fred as a friend in the past 10 years. He was one of the most wonderful men I've ever met. Kind, generous, funny and a man of the highest possible integrity.

Fred was perhaps the most effective fly fisher I've ever watched and always willing to pass on his wisdom and skills. He was also an incredibly skilled fly tyer, probably best known for perfecting and popularizing The Infamous Pink Worm - a fly every fisherman he's met in the past 20 years now carries and uses frequently.

Fred's passing leaves a big hole in the fly fishing community. Please keep his family in your prayers..

Brad Morgan

Hi Brad,

I exchanged Emails with Fred a few months to a year ago or so, since I thought of him a while back and had not communicated with him in several years.

It was really nice to get to visit with him via the Email. He sent some Email photos of wooden art work he had made by cutting out different colors of wooden pieces that put together a little like a jig saw puzzle. They went together to make a wall decoration to hang on the wall. They were amazing, and showed incredible workmanship. He also sent some Email "trophy" photos of him holding some huge fish. My impression was that Fred was an incredible fly fisherman.

Fred was generous and sent a small number of his famous IPW for me to use as example patterns. He offered to send them, and I only wanted one, but he sent enough to actually be able to give to a small number of close friends who tie, again for example patterns.

I am sure that Fred was generous in that way to many others. I thought of Fred just the other day, and had wanted to send him a note, but won't be able to now.

Fred will be missed, and I am saddened to hear of his passing.

Regards,

Gandolf
    Last edited by Gandolf; 08-03-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Thanks, Gandolf. I had been sitting here amazed that my post had over 240 readers without a single response, as Fred's friendliness and generosity to the fly fishing community were just too wide and deep for that to happen. No better man or finer gentleman has ever walked the earth, IMHO.

I last saw Fred at a fly fishing gathering in May. He was ill and a bit weak, not yet diagnosed with the widespread cancer that would kill him. He only fished with his son for about 2 hours in the morning and, if he could handle it, 2 in the afternoon. Still, he caught more fish than any other attendee. He smiled a lot, laughed a lot, and was as generous with his woodworking, flies and advice as ever. It will remain a happy memory for me.

Brad

Brad,
    Sorry to hear of Fred's passing. I knew him from the old virtual flyfishing site and was fortunate to fish with him one time when I was visiting relatives in York, Pa. A truly fine man.
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

I'll go right out and fish an IPW for him. Didn't know him, but know of his generosity.

I knew Fred Bridge pretty well. I got to fish with him a small handful of times.

He was a great angler. Even more than that, he was a great, kind, generous man and a fine gentleman.

I have a couple of his landing nets and a flybox with some flies that he tied. I never fished those flies, just used them for patterns.

Brian Greer

Sorry to hear of Fred's passing.
    Exchanged some e-mails years ago and still remember his kindness.
    I am sure he will be missed by all those who knew him.

DuFf

Had some really nice talks with him on the phone for a few years. We shared Russ Mowry (his brother in law and teacher and my fly tying teacher) in common, which is how we connected some years after Russ's passing. Sad to hear this...we always "planned" fishing trips when we were in each other's areas, but were never able to connect due to life circumstances.
    Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Sorry to learn of his passing. I did not know him, but it is obvious he made a big impact on folks and flyfishing. Will keep his family in our thoughts and prayers, John.

+ Reply to Thread