+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nickel and Dimed by a guide/outfitter?

Hybrid View

Default Nickel and Dimed by a guide/outfitter?

I went on a guided fishing trip with a friend of mine a few weeks back. It was two days in Montana, a walk wade on the Gallatin and a float trip on the Yellowstone.

Had a great time even though we didn't catch too many fish and certainly nothing very big.

We spent well over a thousand dollars for the service - actually closer to two.

At the end of the last day the outfitter did an inventory of every fly we used/lost and tippet material we used. He gave us the used flies and the started tippet spools - - along with a bill.

I didn't think that was appropriate and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I've used guides before in Colorado and Pennsylvania and never had that happen before. Is it a usual practice?

That practice seems to be more common in some areas than others.

I agree that is kind of lame. The guide/outfitter should have made you aware of all additional costs up front. Some do a good job of that and some do not.

I always ask before booking if the guide or outfitter's website, brochure, or other material is not clear.

And rarely will I book a guide that charges extra for leaders, tippet, flies , and other terminal gear unless it is customary for the region that I am fishing. And when I do I bring my own stuff.

I used to make a couple of trips a year to a lodge that charged additional for flies and other terminal tackle. This was spelled out in their materials. It was a great place so I just made sure I had my own stuff.

It is my opinion that anything expended on the water for the clients should be an overhead cost factored into the guide's rate but not everyone agrees.

Blog Entries

Andrew,

I have used guides in the past that charged me for the flies I used, and they didn't even give me the flies. Others have had me purchase flies for the trip from their fly shop. That is all right but I prefer not to do it that way. Now days, the guides I use are the good guides. They cover the cost of the flies and tippet and split shot when nymphing, etc. For those guides, I make sure I give them a very healthy tip, they deserve it. As for the other guides who use the practice you mentioned, my tipping would really be on the minimal side. Always have a clear understanding with the guides and fly shop/outfitter as to all expenses they expect you to pay. Ask them up front so there are no surprises.

Larry ---sagefisher---

We charge for flies and complete leaders but not for tippet, floatant, etc. We thought about going "all inclusive" this year and charging accordingly (the shops that do so charge substantially more than we do), but we decided that wasn't really fair to people who tie their own flies or otherwise have a full arsenal. This is stated on our website and our itinerary sheets we mail out with the deposit receipts.

Blog Entries

I rarely use guides. My son surprised me with a guide trip in Early July down the Madison. Great guide out of The TroutHunter in Island Park, Idaho. This guide did not charge us for flies or leaders or anything. He said a certain number of flies were included in the original cost of the trip.

Anyway, I have had guides before who charge you for the flies he picks out for you at the shop and you are charged. Then, after the trip, you can trade the unused flies for whatever other flies you might want.

Two different policies at shops in the same town of Island Park, Idaho.

Of more interest to me is the amount of the tip expected by the guides. They really rely on good tips as they only share in the cost of the trip with the outfitter. I asked a friend of mine, who runs the guide operation at a high volume guiding shop about the tips. As expected, he said the customary minimum is $100 per trip. If you have a "great" trip, you tip more..............

Just me, but I would have told him where he could stick the flies and tippet material.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

How in the world did you spend close to $2,000 for 2 days of guided fishing? You must have used a LOT of flies.

Quote Originally Posted by John Rhoades View Post
    How in the world did you spend close to $2,000 for 2 days of guided fishing? You must have used a LOT of flies.
    Lets see. I have never used a guide but have friends that are guides. One day float or wade, $450.00, lunch and drinks $25.00 per person. gas to the pick up spot,? $15.00. flies $2.25 each. spools of flouro two @ $15.00. tip @100.00 each. So I would sat $800.00 per trip.

Aw, yes ... the age of greed that we are well into!

I'm sorry this practice left a bad taste in your mouth and I hope I don't come across as a smart mouthed punk or start a fight but here is my take...

I assure you that if the guide/outfitter supplies any flies, leaders, tippet, etc. they are charging you for them. If they don't take inventory at the end of the day and charge you for the individual items, they have already factored the cost of these items into their guide fee.

Put another way, we all pay for these types of things in everything we do. The grocery store has factored in the price of grocery bags into their prices, the gas station has factored in the price of the paper towel you use when you wash your windshield and the person you hire to build your deck is charging you for very nail and screw they use. Sometimes those costs are buried in the total cost and sometimes things are itemized.

I guess I would rather a guide charge me for every fly individually instead of burying that charge into their fee. What if they automatically factor in the cost of 12 flies and I only hang 6 in a tree?

Just my 2cents worth.

+ Reply to Thread