This is a classic question of bundling vs. un-bundling. Do you bundle all the costs of a product/service into a single price that everyone pays--whether they use it or not--or do you price things separately so consumers only pay for what they actually use (but sometimes feel like they're being nickel and dimed).

I guide for a shop that does walk and wade trips in Rocky Mountain National Park. I take a selection of flies from the shop. The client gets charged for what I actually tie on. (They're the shop's flies. I don't make anything on them.) If the client has his own flies, I say, "Let's look in your fly box," and if there's something suitable, I tie it on. If I don't have confidence in his flies, I supply a shop fly. I figure he is paying some hundreds of dollars for a guided trip, and it doesn't make sense to compromise the results for 10 bucks. I do tell the client that they will be be charged for flies that I tie on, and I give them the survivors at the end of the trip. In our shop, the guide supplies tippet material, lead (when used) floatant, etc., and drinks, snacks or lunch depending on the trip duration. If the client needs a leader for his personal rod, he pays for it. Why shouldn't he?

Keep in mind that if you just went into a shop to buy flies, they would point out 5 or 6 must-have patterns, and you would buy 2-4 of each and not use most of them. If our client needs gear--rod, reel, waders, boots--we rent that for $15. There's another shop in town that bundles gear and flies in their trip cost, and, guess what, their trips run $25 per person more than ours. Take your choice.

On the matter of tipping, I agree with the observation that $100 on a $450 - $500 trip is about what you would pay in a decent restaurant. Occasionally I'm in the shop and a client asks about tipping. I say that it's up to them, but then supply the restaurant analogy. Most people tip about 20%.