+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Easy, attention getting tie?

Default Easy, attention getting tie?

Need some quick suggestions...

Our TU chapter is working at an event on Saturday called the Outdoor University. It is a hands-on demonstration/lesson type of thing. We will be doing casting demonstrations and instruction and would also like to do some fly tying demos and instruction.

Anyone have any suggestions for a quick and easy tie that I can be tying to get people's attention that might also be easy enough to tie that if someone wants to give it a try they can have a go at it? Preferably something big and flashy that really gets their attention.

The champion for easy is the San Juan worm, but not very flashy. Wooly Buggers, Girdle Bugs and Prince Nymphs are easy, again not real flash. Lightning Bugs, Rainbow Warriors and Blue Assassins are flashy any fairly easy. Chernobyl ants are easy and colorful, Bob's hopper is very easy and again colorful.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I use the KISS method, especially with novice tiers present.
    Wingless dry fly, all the way down to 20's, all hackle type or Catskill style minus the wing, can impress even the jaded masters.
    Soft hackles, vary the body and hackle used.
    Rolled wing wet flies, your imagination is the only limitation.
    Birds' Nest nymphs, light to dark.
    Marabou streamers.
    They all work, and are impressive in their simplicity.
    wcglass

A simple, but effective and attention grabbing, tie for demos is the Pink Squirrel -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJQTEsLgcbg. The name and the bright materials get people's attention and it's pretty simple to tie. You can tie it in any size (#12 is my standard for trout). I usually use a straight hook (TMC 3769 or equivalent), a brass bead, a chocolate brown body, and pink Ice Dub for the collar. It works very well for trout and it's also excellent as a panfish fly (even for ice fishing).

Royce,
    Noticed you're in South Dakota. If you want something that's a good cross-over for warm water, try Blanton's Fatal Attraction. Tie them as big and flashy as you like. For a novice who wants to try his hand at tying; bucktail streamers. Again, make them as big as you like, and it won't cost a fortune in materials.

Good luck with your event.

Arnie

Various color combinations of Gartside's soft hackle streamers or the similar Alaskabou family members. Mild, muted versions or flashy, zany concoctions. Fun and effective flies that invite creativity. No superhuman dexterity required for the adventurous spectator that wants to take a turn behind your vise.

Wooly Bugger. If you take along a rainbow of maribou and assortment of chenille you can have everyone from kids to adults tie. The kids especially love picking out wild colors. Hackle, rib and bead head can be optional.

maribou mickey finn. It's bright, cheap and easy to tie and catches fish of all kinds
    Last edited by rainbowchaser; 08-02-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by johnstoeckel View Post
    A simple, but effective and attention grabbing, tie for demos is the Pink Squirrel -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJQTEsLgcbg. The name and the bright materials get people's attention and it's pretty simple to tie. You can tie it in any size (#12 is my standard for trout). I usually use a straight hook (TMC 3769 or equivalent), a brass bead, a chocolate brown body, and pink Ice Dub for the collar. It works very well for trout and it's also excellent as a panfish fly (even for ice fishing).
    Ha! My thought exactly! I like a bright pink synthetic dubbing rather than chenille for the thorax. I go traditional otherwise with darkish/reddish squirrel for the body (but dark hare's ear works just as well) and a scud hook.

My other thought is Walter Weise's GFA Hopper. Easy to tie, big to see.

A pink squirrel trailing a GFA Hopper is my favorite set up this time of year for panfish.

+ Reply to Thread